Do I really need a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently bought my first dive computer, an Oceanic Veo 100. I bought it because of a planned trip to Provo this spring. I'll do a few dives with an operation that requires a computer. I'll try it out for the first time in December, when I'll do two or three dives during a week in Dominica. The little Veo will be redundant, a hose mount under my mini spg and depth gauge. I've read the manual. It seems simple enough, but I'll still follow my no decompression tables rigidly, and spend some time on the line anyway. I do have one serious question, though.

I got the Veo because it is small, simple, and available at deeply discounted prices. I don't dive using mixed gases, and I can't imagine why I'd want to download old dive profiles. This whole thing mystifies me. I sometimes keep an informal personal log, but it's narrative diary, a few sentences about anything I wanted to remember. The location, dates, my impressions, anything noteworthy. These diaries go back to the 1970s, but, except for a few attached photos, I seldom look at them. I stopped keeping a formal log decades ago, and I never have and never will ask anyone to sign anything. The concept is absurd and disagreeable, and smells of big brother and marketing ploys. Downloading computer details, unless you are doing something with professional implications, makes no sense to me. What do people do with these data? Stare at them like pictures of old girlfriends? Compile statistics that are, in truth, meaningless months or years later? Am I missing something here? Why this apparently widespread desire to download and store data from a dive computer?

agilis:
...What do people do with these data? Stare at them like pictures of old girlfriends? Compile statistics that are, in truth, meaningless months or years later? Am I missing something here? Why this apparently widespread desire to download and store data from a dive computer?

I can only speak for myself. I don't write lot's of details about a dive in my log unless I'm bored and I don't ask for signatures unless it's a class (in case I'm missing my card for something). The log is to have a record for qualifications needed in a class or other activity. Downloaded statistics are primarily for me to check whether the computer caught something I missed - ascent rate, etc and to keep a permanent record in case I lose my paper log. I also like to calc air consumption to know how it goes up and down due to external factors such as cold. I usually only go back to actually read the log when planning a dive. Then I look for things like weight used or how much air I used in the last time I dove a similar combination of factors.

Some dive boat operators may ask to see your log if it's a particular dive or dive profile you signed up for. Some won't. If you don't have it you may not be able to dive or may need to do a checkout with their DM or instructor before you go. I read a few stories where an individual was too arrogant and pig-headed to do the checkout required because he had no log book. Guess what, expensive dive vacation turned into expensive sit on the beach/dock vacation. For me diving as often as I do in different conditions makes it easier to go and see on such and such I wore this suit with this tank and needed this much weight. Or last time I was here I saw this, at this spot, try to find it again. I don't have a photographic memory. It is a convenience and another valuable tool to me. I do down load my dives and refer to the computer notes I make on them. They tend to be a little more detailed for some stuff especially where it was working with students and things happened or did not happen that I'd like to refer back to in the future to aid someone else with like a particular difficulty with a skill and how it was solved.

agilis:
What do people do with these data? Stare at them like pictures of old girlfriends? Compile statistics that are, in truth, meaningless months or years later? Am I missing something here? Why this apparently widespread desire to download and store data from a dive computer?

Everyone will have a different answer and you make it obvious that there is no value in the information to you. Why ask the question when you are so hard set on its lack of value?

Personally, I use the information as a learning tool as stated by Goose75. I calc Consumption and look at my profiles.
  • Did I miss something?
  • Where do I need to pay closer attention?
  • Wow look there, crossing over reefs I exceeded 60ft/minutre accent rate, Better watch that from now on.
  • I dipped below my plan for a bit and never realized it. Pay closer attention.
  • Did my profile match the plan?
  • Are my weights decreasing as I perfect my buoyancy?
  • Is my SAC improving?
The list of awareness’s can go on ad infinitum depending on who you are.
I have a belief that if life is worth living its worth recording. Maybe some day this information will be read by someone and cause them to think and be aware. Personally, I do like looking at the logs. They take me back there and help me relive the experience. I dive to gain the pleasure and experience and not to rack up a huge list of achievements. "I don't dive on a did it forget about it" mentality.

In a nutshell, I use my logs as a learning device and a memory jogger so the answer is yes. Maybe they are like pictures of old girlfriends. Stare and remember, the good and the bad. Then learn and move on.

Buy a computer. Yes plan your dive using tables before you enter the water, however it is not possible to dive your plan. There will always be differences, minor possibly, but over a whole dive day they could become serious. In Bonaire you may make 5 or 6 dives in a day, difficult to plan. With a computer you know where you are now. When your buddy surprises you with “Lets have a night dive before dinner” a quick look will tell you whether it’s possible or time to call a halt for the day. If it stops working surface immediately and take a 24 hour break from diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom