Do I really need a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sordello

Reaction score
Washington State... for a short time I think!
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been looking at computers recently and am considering buying one. I never have used one as I have always used the depth gauge, watch, and the PADI dive table. Mostly my diving has been of the non-decompression type. Diving less than 33 feet or using the table to make sure to make sure I won't have to make a stop. Computers are somewhat expensive and I am not sure if they are worth the cost.
I like the idea they have a memory to make it easier to log the dives later. This is why I'd consider them useful.
How much should one spend on one of these. If I did get one I'd like it to fit on my Aqualung Pivot console - same as US Diver. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If all you want is a dive logger, I highly suggest one of these:
http://reefnet.on.ca/products/sensus/index.asp
Especially if you have a laptop or PDA with serial connection, they are awesome, cheap, reliable, and functional.

Otherwise, if all you want is logging, to ahead and get a computer with logging.. I don't personally use a computer, but I'd be severely limited in my diving if I didn't supplement tables with depth averaging and computer software.

If you find yourself limited by table NDL's, by all means get a computer.. if not, don't bother, cause they're not necessary.

To dive on some charters, yes!!! . . . I've never dived one of them, but going through the list of required gear, I've noticed that some charters require a computer to dive.

This absolutely astounds me given the number of technical divers out there that dive a plan, spc and bottom timer.

I dare say I'd rather dive with a tech diver without a computer who knows how to plan a dive and understands his gauges than dive with a rec diver who just recently purchased a computer and has yet to read the user's manual.

Just my opinion.

the K

You don't need one, although you might like one.

I really like the data logging on my SmartCom. When I get back, I print out the whole dive profile, including time, depth, temp., workload, location, buddy, equip, etc. and put it in my logbook. It's much more useful than a normal logbook page.

Terry

Sordello:
I have been looking at computers recently and am considering buying one. I never have used one as I have always used the depth gauge, watch, and the PADI dive table. Mostly my diving has been of the non-decompression type.

How much should one spend on one of these. If I did get one I'd like it to fit on my Aqualung Pivot console - same as US Diver. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Web Monkey gives some very good reasons for having one.

the K

A computor offers the potential for increased safety and/or longer bottom times on deeper, multi level dives; especially when doing multiple dives per day. For shallow dives like you describe it is mostly a rather expensive logger.

Sordello:
I never have used one as I have always used the depth gauge, watch, and the PADI dive table.

I am not really qualified to make this statement as I am yet to put it in practice skillfully. But what we tell students regarding dive computers is you don't really need them BUT they do add as a safety backup to your dive plan and thus provide you with more bottom time. I like what has been said by others on this board that the best dive computer you have is probably your brain. "Plan your dive and dive your plan."

As said, I am still putting it in practice and make it as a habit. As a divers who used to dive for leisure only, I tend to rely on dive computer alot. As I have started by DM course, I am using dive planning wheels for planning and try to ensure I follow the planned profile. Still dive with a computer but it's the dive plan I have to remind myself to stick to. :D

Why would you dive tables, it makes no sense. If you like diving, you will get much more bottom time with a computer then diving a square dive that does not take into account different levels. Also, if you do something stupid like ascend to quick, it will set off the alarm, giving you some warning (before you get bent).

DCROOK:
...Also, if you do something stupid like ascend to quick, it will set off the alarm, giving you some warning (before you get bent).
Uh oh, now you've done it. I think I hear the steps of the people coming to lynch you. The last thing you'll hear as the light fades from your vision is "you should never get yourself into that position in the first place! Relying on your computer for ascent rate is... " and then you'll be out.

Granted, they'll cut you down from the tree before you are completely gone, hoping that you learned the lesson. I mean, c'mon, they're not evil.

I can't hear my computer under water. I never rely on the alarms. It would be poor practice to do so. Constantly checking guages is the best method.

Dive safely,
Chris

DCROOK:
Why would you dive tables, it makes no sense. If you like diving, you will get much more bottom time with a computer then diving a square dive that does not take into account different levels. Also, if you do something stupid like ascend to quick, it will set off the alarm, giving you some warning (before you get bent).

You're new here huh?

:sofa:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom