Do I really need a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've pretty much discussed this one into a circular argument. :)
Perhaps a better question would be... Why do you need a computer??

Here's are some things I'd like to see addressed:
Why do you use a computer:
A) Is it to allow more bottom time?
B) Do we use it to keep use 'safe', preventing DCI on our dive?
C) Tell us how many munites of air we have left?
D) Tell use how much deco time we have?
E) Tell us our turn pressure based on tank size? Will it allow one to enter tank size?
F) Keep track of all divers in the dive team?

This is a good thread, let's not let it denigrate into a series of recriminations.

PerroneFord:
Johnnythan, I think NAUI Tech is basing off VPM, and from what I hear, they teach VPlanner to run their profiles. I'd assume VPM-B version now.

Have to quote myself because I ran out of the edit time. Apparently it's IANTD that is using V-Planner. NAUI I believe is using the RGBM model.

Randy43068:

E) Tell us our turn pressure based on tank size? Will it allow one to enter tank size?

This is a good thread, let's not let it denigrate into a series of recriminations.

I think everyone agrees that you do not NEED a computer. Tables are perfectly fine. I think the argument has been whether you should NOT have a computer and what you use the computer for. Your points are a good way to debate the usage. Heres my stab at them:
(A) Yes, it should be designed to be accepetably safe to use to the limits it reccomends because it will be used for that regardless. You should never design a feature without the intention of usage.
(B) Yes and no, there is no safe. It should provide an algorithm that is statistically sound for recreational use (I figure the thread was geared to rec originally).
(C) I'm personally torn on this one. I don't like the potential misuse of this feature but I realize that those who use it improperly tend to go OOA on their gauges anyway.
(D) deco or no deco? deco is the hard one. You don't want to encourage untrained deco dives but you also don't want foolish overrun of bottom time to be fatal. I think a recreational model should provide it but lock up for a preset time afterwards. I think some models do this.
(E) Why not if you decide to include (C)
(F) Yes. Especially with new divers or buddys.

I bought my computer mainly because (a) I believe it'll give me more bottom time on non-square profiles, (b) alert me if I'm about to spend too much time underwater (this happened to me when I first tried out a computer), (c) alert me if I ascend too quickly, (d) record my dive data so that I can upload and study my profile after the dive and potentially learn from it.

There are other benefits, but those were the main ones I thought about when I bought my computer. Computers are the way of the present.

Randy43068:

Well, I'd be happy to post in a thread of 'Why do you use a computer" so if that's what we're moving to then let's start a new thread - and leave 'need' out of it. That's the word that implies required rather than utility.

Somehow I double-posted - I erased this one.

WarmWaterDiver:
I'd be happy to post in a thread titled "Why do you use a computer" but continuing to include the word 'need' is counterproductive I think.

Do it!

Here's my entry:

1. I like the dummy down approach (go up, slow down, breath slower, etc.)
2. I like the bar graphs.
3. If I'm narced, I'll be wondering what all that beeping is all about.

:D

Seriously, it would be good thread.

Backing up a few threads, The 1912 navy tables may have been empirically derived without developing a model as stated ( I really don't know). However, Workman developed a mathmatical model that was then verified using both chamber tests and actual dives. It is this mathmatical model that the US Navy tables are based on. (Note that the current navy tables are based on a different model but are mostly concerned with constant Po2 (rebreather) diving). The Navy tables and workmans models did not account for altitude diving. Buhlman developed a mathmatical model that was also verified using chambers and wet dives. Bulman's model did allow for altitude diving. It is this model that most computers use (with minor tweaking by the various computer manufacturers). The PADI tables are based on a mathmatical model that was tested in chambers and actual dives as well. This algorithim is used by some computers (Oceanic, Aeris). RGBM and VPM are mathmatical models that have been verified using chamber tests and dives.

So all of these are actually based on Mathmatical (theoritical) models that were then tested and adjusted accordingly to be safe. However, none of these models, including the bubble models, are based on any reality of what truly is happening in our bodies as we dive. The science just isn't there.

So wether Jonnythan is correct or not depends on what he meant by theoritical models (mathmatical or physiological?)

macdiver:
Backing up a few threads, The 1912 navy tables may have been empirically derived without developing a model as stated ( I really don't know). However, Workman developed a mathmatical model that was then verified using both chamber tests and actual dives. It is this mathmatical model that the US Navy tables are based on. (Note that the current navy tables are based on a different model but are mostly concerned with constant Po2 (rebreather) diving). The Navy tables and workmans models did not account for altitude diving. Buhlman developed a mathmatical model that was also verified using chambers and wet dives. Bulman's model did allow for altitude diving. It is this model that most computers use (with minor tweaking by the various computer manufacturers). The PADI tables are based on a mathmatical model that was tested in chambers and actual dives as well. This algorithim is used by some computers (Oceanic, Aeris). RGBM and VPM are mathmatical models that have been verified using chamber tests and dives.

So all of these are actually based on Mathmatical (theoritical) models that were then tested and adjusted accordingly to be safe. However, none of these models, including the bubble models, are based on any reality of what truly is happening in our bodies as we dive. The science just isn't there.

So wether Jonnythan is correct or not depends on what he meant by theoritical models (mathmatical or physiological?)

Now that is a more civilized way of correcting or, to be more precise, clarifying someone's knowledge rather than simply saying "consider yourself corrected - as usual you're wrong."

Thanks Mac for that info. I should point out that after the 1912 program to test Haldane, the Navy's Experimental Diving Unit developed the Air Decompression Tables during the years after 1927 but I'm not sure if these are tables used today.

It seems that all models are eventually tested (a theorem is developed and is then tested ... basic scientific method 101). How are the tests conducted? On humans or goats? I would think the latter would have PETA consequences :D.

That would mean that computers and tables are developed theoritically (models) and through practical methods (human testing). Either way, you're right about the accuracy of any of these models as they relate to individual human physiology.

DiveGolfSki:
Now that is a more civilized way of correcting or, to be more precise, clarifying someone's knowledge rather than simply saying "consider yourself corrected - as usual you're wrong."

Thanks Mac for that info. I should point out that after the 1912 program to test Haldane, the Navy's Experimental Diving Unit developed the Air Decompression Tables during the years after 1927 but I'm not sure if these are tables used today.

It seems that all models are eventually tested (a theorem is developed and is then tested ... basic scientific method 101). How are the tests conducted? On humans or goats? I would think the latter would have PETA consequences :D.

That would mean that computers and tables are developed theoritically (models) and through practical methods (human testing). Either way, you're right about the accuracy of any of these models as they relate to individual human physiology.

I made the original comment about the model underlying tables and computers many posts ago. Others have essentially said the same thing, but let me clarify just a little. And I am summarizing.

The orginal experiments were done based on Navy divers, but the data went farther back to include caisson workers. Based on this data and based on Haldane's work with goats, the tissue half-life model of nitrogen absorption/release was proposed. And for the life of me, I don't remember who first proposed it. But this is the model that is followed today by everyone. There are variations of this model, but they all ultimately are similar.

No one knows if this model is correct or reflects reality. Without going into the complexity of proving theoretical models in living organisms (especially when some of those organisms are people), let's just say that it is unprovable. But, the predictions of this model has been shown to be pretty darn accurate.

Though I remember having a discussion with a PH.D. physiologist at the Air Force's High Altitude decompression program in Brooke Institute of Research concerning his belief that DCS is ultimately a chaotic, unpredictable event and that following tables or computers ultimately won't prevent it. But he wasn't a diver. But his point was that no one really knows what is actually happening.

So today, we have this theoretical model that attempts to predict what is safe and what is not. And that it is all based on statistical analysis of dives. And remember how statistics work. I can predict that no one reading this will ever win a lottery (and probably be right), but every day, someone somewhere does win one.

Based on this theoretical model (or a variation of it) tables were developed to attempt to predict the safe limits. But tables can only take into consideration one tissue half life, so the original tables were developed based on a 60 minute half life compartment (I think; I could be wrong here as to which tissue compartment was used). But the bottom line was that the original experimental data was used to develop the model. But that the model was used to create the original tables.

It turns out that according to the model, different tissue compartments load and unload nitrogen at different rates depending on depth. (note: these are all theoretical compartments that do not correspond to any particular type of tissue) One of the real advantages of computers, and one of the reasons that I started using one back in 1984, was because computers can actually track multiple tissue compartments at the same time. Something the tables can not. For those who remember the EDGE, it actually showed twelve tissue compartments on its display and how they were increasing or decreasing nitrogen absorption.

One of the unanswered questions is whether multiple tissue compartments are necessary. In other words, does tracking a 5 minute or 480 minute tissue compartment really make a difference in safety. I don't know. But I would rather track more compartments that fewer.

I hope this explains some of the underlying theory behind our tables and computers.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom