Do I need to service my reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesD

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, bit of a AHHH panic question,

going on vacation on Friday and I decided it was a good idea to clear out the stones from Monterey before going on vacation.

So, I took the front of my Zeagle Reg (tech 50d? Or is that the first stage? it's the second stage that goes with the Tech50D if it isn't called a tech 50D) took off the plastic ring and the "cup" bit that covers the internals, cleared out the stones (just by carefully removing without touching anything else) and then put it all back together, only now I'm noticing that my second stage (which I cleaned out the same way) when I put on my mouth I can't breath through it (can breath out, but not in) however my primary I can breath in on.

I did notice some wear on the "cup" of the primary, but when I swapped them over still seems to be the same, so I'm guessing it's something else letting me breath on it, in which case I'm not sure I'm SO worried about it.

Anyone able to tell me?

It sounds like the diaphagm on your primary is ripped or not seated properly. When the dust cap is on the first stage, you shouldn't be able to suck in any air from either the primary or the backup. If you can, there is a leak somewhere.

If you had it serviced recently (within the last year), I would try re-installing the diaphragm (make sure there's no sand or crud in there too) . If it's been a while since your last service, then I would take it in.

Edit- I re-read that you swapped the diaphragms and the primary was still leaking- check the seat where the diaphragm sits- could be sand or crud.

Well...just remember that when you are diving later you need these regs to work correctly. Unless you are VERY SURE that you have found and fixed the problem yourself I would certainly recommend you get someone else to check them before you use them. That doesn't necessarily mean get a full service....I just mean have someone who knows what they are doing check them to make sure that you didn't miss something. If it does end up meaning a full service....well, that's better than having them fail on you and ruining your holiday, doncha think? :wink:

Take the faceplate back off. Hook the reg up to a tank. Press the lever that is there really quickly. Does it blow air out? Did it press down smoothly and easily? It's possible you have a rock or something wedged in there preventing the lever from going down. It's also possible that a pebble or sand could have gotten in the internals, preventing the lever from sliding the valve open.

If all that works, then check your diaphram and make sure it's not torn or has any holes in it. If not, then put it back in the casing, carefully making sure it's laying flat in there. Then put the ring and faceplate back on. If it still doesn't work right.. then you definitely want to take it into the shop to service.

Not to say that taking it in to have serviced as is now, is a bad idea. Just in case you want to try a couple more things before you take it in.

Been diving 44 years. One thing I won't do is service my own equipment (much less anyone else's). I prefer to have it done by a pro who has the correct tools and knowledge. Will rebuild jeep engines and brake systems, but I can jump out of the vehicle if it fails!

Well it's going to go into the pros this morning to see what's going on, hopefully it'll be quick and easy, I guess in my opinion this wasn't servicing it, more just taking out the rocks from Sunday's diving because I didn't want them to damage anything else, of course maybe they damaged something else already, or maybe I damaged something when I was taking them out. Guess I'll find out, good thing the only diving I'm doing on vacation does provide scuba gear for me anyway, so I don't REALLY need to take my own reg (just much prefer having mine that I know what's happened to than some rental POC that I have no idea what's happened to).

I think you are on the right track as far as caring for and checking your gear. Next time though, do it as part of the cleanup from the last dive rather than the preparation just before next one.

James-you been diving Monastary lately...???

Answers abound

1. Awap, it was cleanup from last dive, I did it last night and had only dove on Sunday, so a two day turnaround, the only issue of course is my next dive is on vacation (which starts friday) and it's thanksgiving in the states so most dive stores are shut.

2. Drewpy, Yes, I dove Monastery this past Sunday (20th) was very enjoyable first dive in Californias rather cold water.

And now, the answer to the issue, it appears to be a crack in the housing of the primary (so I did not cause the issue, at least not by my cleaning exercise) given that it dove okay on Sunday and the crack was almost definately there on Sunday, it's likely not going to cause issues (according to dive store) but they swapped my primary and secondary over (same regulator) so that I can dive the "non-cracked" one as my primary.

Back
Top Bottom