Do I need to service my reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesD:
Answers abound
And now, the answer to the issue, it appears to be a crack in the housing of the primary (so I did not cause the issue, at least not by my cleaning exercise) given that it dove okay on Sunday and the crack was almost definately there on Sunday, it's likely not going to cause issues (according to dive store) but they swapped my primary and secondary over (same regulator) so that I can dive the "non-cracked" one as my primary.

Sounds like a job for Dr. Duct Tape. I'm not kidding. If you can get at it, it should work fine for a temporary fix. Then baby the hell out of it so it doesn't get worse. And warn your buddy if that is what you plan to pass.

JamesD:
And now, the answer to the issue, it appears to be a crack in the housing of the primary (so I did not cause the issue, at least not by my cleaning exercise) given that it dove okay on Sunday and the crack was almost definately there on Sunday, it's likely not going to cause issues (according to dive store) but they swapped my primary and secondary over (same regulator) so that I can dive the "non-cracked" one as my primary.

Ack.

Pardon my tone, but:

So you have a cracked housing that isn't -likely- to cause problems, so the solution is to put the cracked housing to where if there -is- a problem, it will turn up in a most unfortunate time.

Good plan. :11:

I would swap it back so that you have alternatives should it pose a problem, rather than leave it in a position where it's use, by nature of it's new designation, doesn't provide many alternatives should it fail again. And get it replaced ASAP.

I recommend only diving with fully functional gear. Spectre's position is legit if you plan on using broken gear, but, again, I would never dive with broken gear (well maybe in the shallows or in the pool...).

Should be a golden rule, more golden than the buddy thing...

Spectre:
I would swap it back so that you have alternatives should it pose a problem, rather than leave it in a position where it's use, by nature of it's new designation, doesn't provide many alternatives should it fail again. And get it replaced ASAP.

Getting it replaced ASAP is my plan, but that can't happen prior to friday when I need it, I also might talk to the LDS that I dive with in St Thomas and as them if they can put an alternate octopus on (that way the crack in this one doesn't even come into play). Given that should be relatively easy, that would leave it all okay.

Out of interest, what is the thought around people diving without an Octopus? I realise it's bad practice, definately bad form, but obviously each dive buddy maintains there own gear, I mean if I run into trouble (for some reason have an out of air emergency) I'm relying on my Buddy's gear to work okay and have been serviced (etc etc)

I guess I'll touch into the "big-ol-can-o-worms".

This would be why 1) I test my backup when gearing up for each and every dive because 2) What I donate to my buddy is my primary our of my mouth, and -I- switch to my backup. If they need gas, they are in no good position to deal with a faulty regulator, and the one that is in my mouth is delivering the appropriate gas for the depth we are at, and is working at that exact moment in time.

And I dive with people that also expect me to go for the regulator that is in their mouth.

I once had a guy ask to dive with me. I took one look at his setup and I told him that I would not. He had a primary off his main tank, and a 13 cuft pony bottle strapped to the tank with an old regulator bungied onto the tank. The regulator that he donates to his buddy is the regulator attached to the 13 cuft pony. No idea when that gas was put in that tank. no idea the condition of that regulator. Sorry, you don't care about me enough for me to trust my life to you.... simple decision. just said no.

And I agree with everything you put there, Normally I dive with a primary (my Tech 50D) and the secondary is an Airsource, so in an out of air situation I swap to the airsource and my buddy gets the primary out of my mouth.

I am generally fairly carefuly about who I dive with, and also keep my gear in good condition, this crack is annoying me, on the one hand apparently I dove it fine on Sunday, on the other hand I now know about it (if I'd continued blindly on this probably even wouldn't have come up until I took my gear in for yearly service in Feb) I COULD just use rental gear (and given that it's diving off a cruise ship I'm sure they provide rental gear for everyone) but then I lose the decency of my gear, plus I won't be able to dive my computer (which I quite like diving for many reasons).

Ho hum, what to do, what to do. Okay I think I'll ask the dive store if they can put a different octopus on as my backup, if they can't then I guess I dive rental gear like everyone else (although if they can't I'd be surprised) and then when back from vacation obviously first stop is to get the cracked housing replaced (but also take the octopus back off the first stage since I will have my BC back so will be back to diving with my airsource).

Edit: As an aside thanks to everyone for the opinions, it's nice to know what others think even when they think I'm a moron :p seriously though gave me some good ideas for what I can/can't do and for what I should/shouldn't do beyond what I'm thinking

JamesD:
, I also might talk to the LDS that I dive with in St Thomas and as them if they can put an alternate octopus on (that way the crack in this one doesn't even come into play). Given that should be relatively easy, that would leave it all okay.

Getting them to loan you one is a good choice, In leu of that take Spectre's advice and have it swapped back if it fails you go to your backup and the dive ends. However if it fails during and air share:11: .. now you got bigger problems..

JamesD:
Out of interest, what is the thought around people diving without an Octopus? I realise it's bad practice, definately bad form, but obviously each dive buddy maintains there own gear, I mean if I run into trouble (for some reason have an out of air emergency) I'm relying on my Buddy's gear to work okay and have been serviced (etc etc)

I always dive with a spare regulator for my buddy (not octopus though, instead a fully redundant regulator). However, should I be in the situation of choosing to dive after discovering my octopus is bad, I would leave it behind and dive without an octopus (assuming I do not want to abort the dive). This of course assumes your buddy is a capable diver and has no problems with sharing air should the need arise. IMHO, better to go without than to go with a questionable piece of gear, especially in the case of an octopus. I have a history for not liking octopuses though...

P.S.
I would like to amend my original comment (I don't like golden rules): I would avoid diving with gear that has an above normal chance of failure. However, if I can rig something without increasing its chance of failure, I wouldn't have a problem doing that.

awap:
Sounds like a job for Dr. Duct Tape. I'm not kidding. If you can get at it, it should work fine for a temporary fix. Then baby the hell out of it so it doesn't get worse. And warn your buddy if that is what you plan to pass.

I don't know where you come up with this type of advice... Duct Tape! Come on now. Everyone knows Duct Tape is for Musicians... Super glue, Aqua Seal and tie wraps are for divers!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom