Do Fake Reefs Offer Real Solutions for Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What we obviously need are more artifical wrecks in the 200'-300' range :D

Id much rather prefer a real wreck over a artificial one. I personally don't care if it is intentionally sunk or not.

Shoot, you are preaching to the converted.

The biggest problem I see is that we divers tend to think we are the most important part of a tourist economy.
(Hell, I think that)

But the reality is, we just ain't.

It is great for divers, the environment, charter fishing boats, and free press for Hawaii.

It is great for divers, the environment, charter fishing boats, and free press for Hawaii.

You certainly won't get an argument from me there.

However, I can guarantee you there is at least one group of tree hugging "naturists" that would absolutely cringe and lobby against any wrecks being sunk... The whole PCB thing and all those other nasty things that are inboard ships.

Now mind you, you are NOT allowed to think about all those wrecks that were sunk as active warships with all sorts of bad stuff on them in WWII and the fact that those ships are absolutely full of life and people around the world go to dive them.

I still remember the hoopla about the PCB's during the Oriskany sinking.

Take em out there, pull the drain plug and let em sink. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm certainly not against a few artificial reefs (I have worked with California Ships to Reefs), but I really don't see them replacing the natural environment. When I go to a new location (and Hawaii would be new to me amazingly enough), the last thing I want to see is piles of concrete (well, second to the last next to trash).

---------- Post added January 18th, 2014 at 06:25 AM ----------

However, I can guarantee you there is at least one group of tree hugging "naturists" that would absolutely cringe and lobby against any wrecks being sunk... The whole PCB thing and all those other nasty things that are inboard ships.

I'm more of a kelp hugger than a tree hugger (we're too dry here to have many real trees) but I agree on the concerns about PCBs, etc., in wrecks. However, there are ways to clean up a vessel properly before sinking it.

Back
Top Bottom