Do Fake Reefs Offer Real Solutions for Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptFlyingDutchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So what happened to the $285k...... and yes, the Maui disaster was horrible.

Our artificial reefs are dived quite a bit and to really kickstart them we could even have holes drilled in the Z blocks and frags of coral interspersed in them after the bottom settles a bit. Or even better, get some grants for Reef Balls.... huh, huh.

Reef Ball Foundation: Getting Grants For Your Project

G

What we obviously need are more artifical wrecks in the 200'-300' range :D

What Hawaii needs is marine sanctuaries instead of half-baked rules somewhat protecting the occasional fish species in the occasional tiny area.

What Hawaii needs is marine sanctuaries instead of half-baked rules somewhat protecting the occasional fish species in the occasional tiny area.

Make sure you come on down to Waianae and explain that to them.

What we obviously need are more artifical wrecks in the 200'-300' range :D

Absolutely! Hawaii I'd beyond pitiful in the shipwreck department.

We got awhile fleet of them sitting in West Loch just waiting to be sink.

Hell, I'd even offer to drag the USS Tarawa out to 250 feet with my boat and pull the drain plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@pensacolaracer.....

CaptFlyingDutchman and I have talked about this for years. Don't most of those ships in West Loch eventually get torn to swiss cheese by several visiting nations firepower and our own in an annual "exercise" ???

The Navy has a Ships to Reef program in place. What is unclear is how we secure a big boy, clear it through the state and get the damn thing on the bottom of the ocean. We need an Oriskany of the Pacific!

G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom