Do experienced divers need to carry less weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Less weight. I am more relaxed. I have less air in my wing at the start. I know to watch current and find places to hide. Less exertion, less breathing hard, better bouyancy, less weight.

Poor trim so the diver is swimming uphill and hand movements that lift the diver are 2 problems that are often solved with experience. The desire of "the experts" to take weight off of people that need the weight is a worse problem.

It is a learning curve.
There are many reasons!
1. Instructor does not have enough time to fine tune individually.
2. Thermal protection.
3. Type of tank used.
I have seen some of the so called experienced divers also carried excessive weights! No reason to do that but does happen.

There was just a very recent thread on this. Boulderjohn explained to me the reasons newbies may not do a proper weight check and why they may be doing wrong things in their diving that when solved, means they now can drop some weight.
IF you are diving properly (not at a 45 degree angle, not using hands for sculling--unless it is advisable, not in poor trim, etc.), a weight check tells every diver the minimum amount they need. Doesn't matter if you're an OW newbie or Master Instructor Tech diver. There are different types of weight checks, but that's too precise for me.
The only times I've changed my weighting has been when I bought a new wetsuit and a new BCD. Otherwise, it's the same as on dive 1 in 2005.

As Diverlady13 (and many others) says, instructors sometime overweight students. So, that's not a proper weight check. Boulderjohn also points out that due to uneasiness, some students breathe improperly when doing the weight check. PROPER WEIGHT CHECK for all.

Now, I just bought a new BC, which is larger & thus heavier than my old one. I dropped 2 pounds, so down to 40. Because I dive solo and am lazy, I'm not gunna spend the time to do a proper weight check. Last 2 dives it seemed OK, but I sense that if I drop 2 more pounds I may have a problem. Will wait a bit for warmer water and try that. No big deal.

The contest among some divers of who can carry the least amount of weight is stupid. The tropical divers often think the cold water divers are carrying crazy amounts of weight, but extra lead means warmth as you can wear heavier undies (which generally require more lead) and put more air in your drysuit, which means you’re warmer.

A buddy was at me recently to drop some weight. Thought I had too little, but when I dropped two pounds and had issues descending, he admitted he had to eat crow. I put the two pounds back on, and no more issues.
Yeah, been there. And that was taking PP Buoyancy course....He said "Wow, you really need that much weight" (like I didn't know). But in all fairness, that was in FL).

People also forget that the wetsuit will trap air in side especially if layered.
They have trouble getting down at first.
But during the dive it gets worked out of the suit.... also most people have a hard time getting bcd fully empty...

People also forget that the wetsuit will trap air in side especially if layered.
But during the dive it gets worked out of the suit.... also most people have a hard time getting bcd fully empty...
On the other hand, the air in your tank gives you 5 or more lbs of extra weight at the start of the dive.

On the other hand, the air in your tank gives you 5 or more lbs of extra weight at the start of the dive.
Yes, so you are only "perfectly" weighted at one moment in time when a certain amount of tank air is gone.

Yes, another thing John explained in the other thread. And something a diver should be able to figure out without too many dives. You know the wetsuit traps air, and that it is also dry when entering the water. You figure out how you have to turn and hold the inflator to release BCD air. Air wants to rise. Pretty obvious stuff if you're comfortable in water prior to taking OW course.

Yes, so you are only "perfectly" weighted at one moment in time when a certain amount of tank air is gone.
But the additional weight helps overcome some of that trapped air in a dry wetsuit. And I want enough weight to keep me from having to fight to stay down until my tank is empty. So I am never perfectly weighted because I avoid running out of air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom