Do Dive Propulsion Vehicles Ruin The Experience?

What Do You Think?

• I think every diver should have one.

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • I could care either way.

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • It ruins the whole experience.

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use it as a tool as has been said. For example, the wall dive from Bohio in Grand Turk, a very long surface swim but very nice underwater with a scooter. Or, here at the local quarry, zip over to interesting objects, spend your gas looking at hem, not getting there.

Mike

It's already been said, but I'll repeat it. Scooters have their time and place. Personally, a scooter is a way to get to a site, not a way to dive. Even in cave diving (I don't have a scooter for that yet...), a scooter is a means to get past the areas you can swim. Once you get past your swim penetration, the scooter gets turned off and you explore new passage. It's all in how you use it.

Scooters can make old dive sites new again. Where before when you arrived at a spot where you habitually turn a dive, now that spot is ten minutes ride out on the scooter. Clip it off and explore new area.

Scooters do require much more in the way of dive planning though.

I do not agree that every diver should have a scooter. They are a blast, and offer a different, not ruined dive experience, but they are potentially dangerous.

It's much more dificult to maintain contact with your teammates, and the benefits of longer range can become a liablity if you have to swim home.

These potential problems can be overcome with training.

Zipping past the "old stuff" burning little gas, to see something new at swimming speeds is a very real benefit IMO.

Tobin

I think everyone should have a scooter, or at least be given the chance to try one. Once you try a full fledged scooter you will want one. Of course, there are instances where they are not useful. However, I am apt to bring one just for the sheer fun of it. I can hardly wait to get my new scooter. At 35 lbs it will be a welcome relief to my arms and back. Dragging a short, or long body Gavin aboard a boat in a pitching sea was always dramatic...especially with the PVC model. Smash-o-roo!

If anyone knows the U-869 (the U- WHO) I took one down and did several laps around the sub. I stored the Gavin near the conning tower and did some penetration. After that it another lap over the bridge. Overall, the deep scooter was overkill for a small wreck, but I got to see the props. several times. :D

X

p.s. I'll add that in long caves a scooter is indispensible. There is nothing like gliding through myriads of tunnels.

i know i dont have a real scooter (ie, gavin or X) but i lend mine out and 2 weeks ago it was crusing around a wreck down south and the diver said he got to do a few laps around it, which he hadnt been able to do before so he will be borrowing it again he said (too $$$ to buy while borrowing is free)

KMD:
Scooters can make old dive sites new again. Where before when you arrived at a spot where you habitually turn a dive, now that spot is ten minutes ride out on the scooter. Clip it off and explore new area.

Scooters do require much more in the way of dive planning though.
Ditto for me. I have an X-Treme sea scooter and have used is just a few times. It is what I consider to be appropriate for the type of diving that I want to do. It brings a different element to the dive and does allow me a bit more time to see the same sites in more detail than before.

almitywife:
i know i dont have a real scooter (ie, gavin or X) but i lend mine out and 2 weeks ago it was crusing around a wreck down south and the diver said he got to do a few laps around it, which he hadnt been able to do before so he will be borrowing it again he said (too $$$ to buy while borrowing is free)

I will be waiting to see pictures of you and your hubby zipping by on RB's and scooters! That's an awesome combo. - silent and fast! On a side note I have noticed that the KISS Classic is a pretty nice RB to scooter with. The short version of the hoses and the low profile make it pretty nice in the water. The other chest-mounted counterlungs add a bit more clutter.

p.s. my vote for the return of your previous avatar! :D

the photo avatar of the filing cabinet diving avatar?? if the 1st im back

You could just as easily ask "Do Dive Boats Ruin the Experience?" Dive boats get me to dive sites. Taking a ride to the divesite rather than swimming miles doesn't ruin the experience.

There are some divesites that are nice convenient shore dives. Then there are those that are a bit on the long side for the intial swim out to them, and a scooter is nice. For example, I checked out some reefs just offshore from my condo yesterday. "Offshore" in this case means 20 minutes constant swimming with snorkel and fins, no tank. All but a couple of the 20 minutes were over bare sand, not even halimeda/algae. Scooters are nice to get one to such a reef. When doing this sort of scooter dive I normally "park" the scooter, fin around the reef, then retrieve the scooter for the ride back. Works for me. :)

Charlie Allen

Back
Top Bottom