Do cave divers need wreck training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave is a linear course progression,
How would you know? I've seen divers do it concurrently, though it lengthens the duration of the course.
Pete, You are going to sit there with a straight face and say that there is no back biting and politics in cave diving?
I didn't say that. I just pointed out the hypocrisy and irony of you accusing others while doing it yourself. It still makes me chuckle. If it's so bad, why do you do it? There's jealousy and bitterness all over the place and that includes back biting even in this thread. Becoming an NSS-CDS instructor is very difficult, and when people claim that they are "just as good" it makes my opinion of them slip even further. Add arrogance and condescension and they are reduced to me giving them an eye-roll with their self-purported greatness.
You guys seem to run out of air a lot for being so great...
Rly? I've never run out of air since I added an SPG to my kit. It's been decades since I dove j-valves. Definitely, I've never been OOG/LOG in a cave or in penetrating a wreck. Maybe you could define "a lot" for me, since I don't seem to fit your preconceived bias.

A few takeaways from this discussion:
  • Dive within your limits!
    • Time/depth/gas
    • Training!
    • Gear
    • Conditions
    • Attitude!
    • Other Limits
  • After all that's said and done, there's a lot more said than done.
    • Be suspicious of those who claim equivalency without having done the training.
    • Be suspicious of those who resort to insult and condescension to prove a point.
    • Compare minimums to minimums
      • That's all you can really rely on
  • Avoid jealousy and bitterness in your postings.
    • Life's too short!
    • It turns people against you
    • It does nothing to improve your reputation.

I think it's accurate to say that cave and technical wreck courses are not always directly comparable. Technical wreck courses, for example, simply are not available to folks who aren't already technical divers, so there's a different baseline. Cave courses just require OW and Cavern (maybe AOW & EANx? … recreational stuff anyone at that point should already have done anyway). Hopefully most aspiring cave divers are fairly experienced, but it's not a prerequisite like it is for technical wreck penetration.

I had dinner and drinks with a good buddy of mine tonight, a Dane who's almost certainly done over 1000 dives, is CMAS 3 stars, and last year did AN/DP with a very good tech instructor. Since he's been working on improving his skill set, he's been doing some open water deco dives with me and also with another buddy of ours who's a tech instructor (of the GUE lineage, but not dogmatic about it).

He has signed up for a technical wreck penetration course in Subic Bay in June/July, and was told that it will be a six-day course. That's for a very experienced diver, CMAS 3*, with basic tech (AN/DP) already done with a very well-respected instructor.

So, 6 days is basically full cave, minus cavern (which, apart from line, involves skills which should be dealt with in a basic tech diving course like AN/DP: a lot more demanding course than cavern!).

(His upcoming instructor, btw, isn't the guy I did my training with, nor is he DevonDiver; but is one of the old-timer Subic Bay wreck guys who is host to the GUE, TDI, ANDI, etc folks when they visit.)

My tec wreck course was only 4 or 5 days, if I recall correctly, but I was further along in the tech diving progression of skills and knowledge at that point.

I was appalled that CDS wouldn't accept that technical wreck penetration course as at least the equivalent of Cavern and credit me for a couple days, when I saw muppets banging off the floors and ceilings of Ginnie Springs in rebreathers …

Wreck courses need a bit more stuff about ascending in an unwelcoming ocean than cave divers do; they need less stuff about jumps and traverses and Florida etiquette. There are some gas planning considerations, some dive directional planning considerations, some communication & contingency planning stuff, which should go into a hardcore wreck penetration course but aren't necessarily part of a perfectly adequate Florida cave course.

Can Florida's best cave divers survive deep, rusty, silty, collapsing wrecks with spooky femur bones and scorpionfish and snaggly nets and monofilament fishing line all over, then safely ascend in ripping currents in a busy shipping lane?

Yeah, probably.

Can the average cave diver do that, without deep ocean training and experience?

Sure, as long as nothing goes wrong.

Using my RAID system as an example, the total training necessary would encompass:
  • Basic Wreck - 1 day/2 dives
  • Advanced Wreck - 4 days/6 dives
  • Deco50 - 8 days/12 dives
  • Technical Wreck - 4 days/6 dives
The total commitment in training time and dives would be 17 days/26 dives.

I haven't made up my mind in either direction yet, but: I think this is fairly misleading if you're trying to compare it to the "standard" 8 days/16 dives Zero-to-Hero approach. I'm not sure what's involved in Technical Wreck, but it Deco50 is certainly not covered in Cavern->Full Cave progression. It seems like you'd actually be comparing 8days/16dives of Full Cave to 5days/8dives of Basic+Advanced Wreck.

George Irvine commented on this issue in a lecture he gave to the BAUE:

But by the time I got to cave diving I'd been diving forever but very focused on wreck diving. My goal in taking to Parker and Bill Gavin and these cave guys was to make it universal to all types of diving so that you didn't have to change anything. Ideally cave divers would want everything to be the same: everybody with the same response, everybody handling things the same way and having the same gear.

But it didn't necessarily translate to wreck diving. Interestingly though, anything that's important in cave diving (technique, skills, whatever) is far more important in wreck diving than it is in cave diving. Cave diving is a static environment; you don't have the moving parts. Wreck diving is far more difficult. So your discipline and your gear and your skills and all the things that are learned from cave diving are better applied to wreck diving, it's just that nobody ever applied them. You just look at little things like in cave diving like what happens if you put an argon bottle back here on the side of the tanks with the Velcro straps. The risk is what happens if you go through a restricted passage with that passes the bottle easily in one direction but when you are coming the other way it can't pass because the bottle is in the way. So you have to be able to remove or move it if necessary.

In caves there's no issue with fishing line or wire or current that you have in a wreck dive, so you can mount the argon on the doubles. For wreck, you want it in close where it will not catch things. Obviously you want to have something universal so you just slide the argon over here on the hip or mount the bottle on the plate. You don't need a big bottle — a little bottle is fine. If all you are doing is this one type of diving out here, I would put an argon pocket on my drysuit rather then make a rig like mine or a rig that goes on the backplate. I don't like anything on the plate or up against me between the wings and me.

Where there need to be "distinctions" between wreck, open water, cave or whatever we want to make distinctions but still want everything to be identical. It should all still work the same but with a slight difference for the type of diving. For example, you put gloves on for the cold water you have here but you don't need gloves in a cave dive in Florida. So on and so forth. We did this with all types of diving.

See: BAUE George Irvine Lecture

I haven't made up my mind in either direction yet, but: I think this is fairly misleading if you're trying to compare it to the "standard" 8 days/16 dives Zero-to-Hero approach. I'm not sure what's involved in Technical Wreck, but it Deco50 is certainly not covered in Cavern->Full Cave progression. It seems like you'd actually be comparing 8days/16dives of Full Cave to 5days/8dives of Basic+Advanced Wreck.

It's not misleading.... it's just what it is.

Full Cave isn't comparable to basic+advanced wreck... it's much more than those courses. They are more aligned to cavern+intro-to-cave.

Basic wreck doesn't equate to anything in the caver curriculum. There's no cave equivalent of 'stay outside the cavern and look in only'. Basic wreck deals chiefly with wreck layout, survey, navigation and hazard awareness...along with introducing appropriate fundamental skills.

Advanced wreck is penetration focused. It refines fundamental skills, teaches guideline laying and retrieval, varied tie-offs and wraps, light and tactile communication, team roles, zero viz protocols, long hose air sharing, redundant gas systems and some contingency skills. It is, importantly, still a light-zone course.

The cave syllabus extends beyond Full Cave adding further linear distance and decompression, helium in a progressive flow of courses.

With technical wreck, you need to master technical diving as a prerequisite. This gets you to-and-from the wreck. Most wreck penetrations don't start at, or near, the surface. It also trains you in the equipment, team skills and protocols - stuff that has to be covered on a full cave course.

I think there's a disconnect in what some people assume is achieved in technical wreck penetrations. Probably because of limited wreck experience - not having dived bigger, complex penetration, wrecks...of which there are many.

I'll expand on that:

The linear distance may not be as substantial as some caves, but it's still easy to lay 400 to 800ft of line; working your way through multiple decks. This also invariably includes a number of restrictions, of varying severity, which impede progress and influence the time of the penetration.

Full cave level rarely involves passing significant restrictions - with technical wreck it's the norm. I don't mean 'door ways', I'm talking about tight ventilation shafts, engineering crawlspaces or partially collapsed sections that may require wriggling and squeezing through.

You can spend a lifetime doing wide, smooth, clean passages as a cave diver. If you struck to equal parameters as a technical wreck diver there wouldn't be anywhere much for you to explore.

Again, inexperienced wreck divers may observe a wreck and be convinced that there's no opportunity for penetration. A higher level wreck diver might see a myriad of opportunities on the same wreck.

Distance is less important than time. If you're 30 minutes from the exit with 25 minutes gas remaining, you're just as dead whether it's a wreck or a cave.

Technical wreck can include jumps, gaps etc. A team might lay several lines over a series of dives. Line marking can be important, on more complex and sophisticated wreck penetration dives. Penetrations may be reciprocal or traverse. Stage tanks, with appropriate procedures, may be used.

The ability to enjoy wreck and cave penetration is determined by the opportunities in a given area.

Florida and Mexico is a mecca for cave. They have a range of dives suitable for novice to expedition grade cave divers. The same areas, as people have highlighted, are sparse with major penetrable wrecks.

Subic Bay, Scapa Flow, Truk etc are meccas for wreck diving. They have a range of penetration opportunities for novice to extreme wreck divers.

But the same regions are sparce with caves...and even where there are caves, there may not be much spectrum of complexity: some areas only have very advanced systems, others only have very basic ones.

People who don't live/dive somewhere with an opportunity to dive at a given level shouldn't make assumptions that such diving doesn't occur elsewhere.

Just because you went on vacation somewhere for a week or two doesn't mean you were taken, or shown, the full extent of the diving available.

As an example, I've taken visiting Florida cave divers into the wrecks in Subic. They are challenging penetrations, for sure, and have caused some of those divers some stress. Nonetheless, those routes and areas were far less challenging than what the locally based, high-level, wreck divers undertake. They're basically the novice training routes... and that's entirely appropriate.

I'd fully expect the same approach exists in places like Florida or Mexico. People don't generally get to visit for a week, wave a cave card, and get taken into the most extreme areas.

There's a vast repository of info on cave diving... books, manuals, groups, forums, videos, reports, websites etc.

In contrast, technical wreck diving is much less visible and transparent. There are fewer resources and publications. The last major book was by Gary Gentile in the '80s...and technical wreck penetration has come a LONG way since then. It's a smaller, more niche, community. That sparsity of information easily leads observers into misunderstandings and false assumptions.

I'm not saying that someone can't have an opinion about technical wreck... people can learn valid knowledge without having a plastic card without the special initials on it... but the starting point for gaining that knowledge is for people to abandon what they 'think' they know, and start listening to what those involved and active in it are actually explaining.

Last edited:
Oh ****, I did my cave course in 7 days (16 dives). And now dive on and in wrecks to trimixdepths also. I go now further than the skipper who took me on my first wreckdive, but I go less far than some do (some here take a 7m hose to let the cylinders outside to go in the most narrow places) :popcorn:

No, serious, not all divers want to do the most narrow restrictions. Not all cave divers and not all wreckdivers wants to do that (equipment removal is forbidden in a normal full cave course). My cave distances where much longer than in a wreck (here we don't have that big wrecks that 400 ft of line is needed, I think 200ft is more than enough).
But as it goes to restrictions, you have restrictions and restrictions and happely not everybody HAS TO do the most extreme restrictions. Diving must be fun, not who has the biggest.................
If you enjoy the big halls in wrecks and run a line properly, stay within your comfortzone, then you are the best diver. Don't go where you don't want to go. I extend my limits slowly in wrecks and caves. In caves I go in narrower passages than in wrecks (wrecks I dive backmount and sometimes I dive sidemount in caves). I don't remove my stuff in wrecks. That is my limit for now. Nothing wrong with that. Diving must be fun. So not all wreckdivers will do, even if they are trimix and rebreathercertified. I know full trimix wreckdivers who enjoy swimming around the wreck. They never penetrate. Nothing wrong with it. But they call themselves wreckdivers as they do it on a regular basis.

Cavern and intro to cave are more or less 'sportsdivercourses'. Same as the first (or most) wreckdiver courses. The comparison mentioned above is a little bit strange as only some divers can do a full cave course from cavern to full cave in 1 week. Most don't do that. Deco is not part of a cave course, but in a technical cave course it can be done (and then a prerequisite is to have adv. nitrox or higher).

It's not misleading.... it's just what it is.

Including Tech50 training in "Wreck Training" is certainly misleading to compare to 8days/16dives of Cavern->Full Cave because Tech50 training would also be "in addition to" that training. Might as well roll gear service training, OW, nitrox, and a few others in there as well. Also, there's a "Technical Cave" that's essentially applying Deco principles (previously learned in something like Tech50) to cave diving which would add time.

It's not 17/26 vs 8/16....it's more like 5/8 or 9/14 vs 8/16, depending on if you want to include Technical Wreck but disallow Technical Cave.

The linear distance may not be as substantial as some caves, but it's still easy to lay 400 to 800ft of line;
400-800ft of penetration is certainly in the realm of a "small and short Intro-level cave dive."

Full cave level rarely involves passing significant restrictions - with technical wreck it's the norm. I don't mean 'door ways', I'm talking about tight ventilation shafts, engineering crawlspaces or partially collapsed sections that may require wriggling and squeezing through.
Full Cave dives can involve as much (or as little) tight wriggling as the diver could possibly want.

There's a vast repository of info on cave diving... books, manuals, groups, forums, videos, reports, websites etc.

In contrast, technical wreck diving is much less visible and transparent. There are fewer resources and publications. The last major book was by Gary Gentile in the '80s...and technical wreck penetration has come a LONG way since then. It's a smaller, more niche, community. That sparsity of information easily leads observers into misunderstandings and false assumptions.
There's also a pretty large disparity in the standardization and availability of focused courses.

The cave syllabus extends beyond Full Cave adding further linear distance and decompression, helium in a progressive flow of courses.
There ARE a few cards beyond Full Cave, but most of them rarely get used. Some caves require DPV Cave, others require CCR Cave. I don't know anyone with a "Deep Cave" or "Trimix Cave" or any sort of card covering helium in caves. I know only a couple of people that have formalized training in stage handling in caves. Many (most?) people feel that "Full Cave" certifies them to do anything they please in a cave (deco/helium training is not covered in cave training and is to be attained through OW training), including stages, CCR, DPV, sidemount or backmount, tight restrictions, survey, etc.

@victorzamora

You're missing the point. Its not a dick swinging contest. I'm merely explaining what Technical Wreck training is, in comparison to cave.

I'll refer, again, to the final paragraph of my last post:

".... the starting point for gaining that knowledge is for people to abandon what they 'think' they know, and start listening to what those involved and active in it are actually explaining".

There will be two types of caver on this thread: those with an open-mind and interest in knowing more about technical wreck diving; and those with their fingers in their ears sticking stubbornly to ego-fuelled assumptions that only serve to trumpet their supposed superiority.

No wreck diver on this thread has approached the debate from a position of stating which is better or worse.

We've been saying there are close similarities in most aspects, but the environmental differences necessitates distinct, separate training.

I'm genuinely not sure what threatens or offends some cave divers about that statement.

Frankly, it's dull and disappointing... and only serves to add weight to the worst rumours people hear about the petty ego-driven bickering in certain cave communities.

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom