Do any Tec-Rec (or light deco) divers use GTR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What the eff is "GTR"?
I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as ATR.. or maybe it's about motorcycles :wink:.

Interesting. No one outside of the OP and RJ know what GTR means and yet here we are on page 4 of discussions on it. Gotta love the internets.

nope

How many threads are you going to start regarding this? I think this is the third one.

I voted No in the poll. I think you're trying to overcomplicate the concept of GTR for a small increase in utility. Safety stops don't use enough gas to worry about, unless you begin one with a near empty tank, in addition to the fact that they're optional for recreational dives. In any event, I don't see that it merits three separate threads.

@rongoodman

Why does this bother you so much? @Jay_Antipodean has a perfectly valid interest in the topic. I'm interested too. If you are not interested, choose to not read and/or participate, easy enough.

Good diving, Craig

"GTR is similar to No Decompression Limit (NDL) in that it is the time, in minutes, that you can remain at the current depth until a direct ascent would result in surfacing with the reserve pressure remaining."
That's the Shearwater implementation. The PPS implementation (air time remaining, ATR), which has been around for more tha 20 years, includes the SS or deco stops in the calculation, the main point of this thread.

What is GTR? Starting a thread on a topic relating to GTR without people actually knowing what GTR is, is a bit ......

The safety stop in gtr on a shearwater is not as issue. You are diving a gf you dont need a safety stop. The safety is built in to the gf. If you want to have a safety stop that is up to you.
Why should a computer put in a aditional 3 min stop into its calcs that is not required.
All computers have a safety margin built into their NDLs and direct assent to the surface is possible. Regardless, safety stops are recommended, and nearly universally implemented, for no stop diving, for a variety of reasons.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom