DM'ing my first OW Checkout Dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
...this weekend. Anyone have any words of wisdom, advice, or last minute tips?

Thanks!

Seeing that I am going to be doing my OW check out dives this weekend, from a students perspective, I will give you these suggestions.

1)Go over thouroughly with your whole group exactly what it is they will be doing.

2)Tell them all to get their buddys or your attention if something is not right or if they want to abort. Stress that it is ok to do and that they would not be the first student to abort.

3)Signal to them frequently, especially on the first dive, that everything is ok and make sure they respond back.

4)Tell them what to do if someone needs to surface...do they stay down with the assistant, if there is one....or does everyone surface.

5)I am assuming you are familiar with the dive site so explain to them the composition at the depth they will be going...what they expect to see, fish and landscape wise.

6)Stay as close as possible without interfering and make sure to rotate around the group staying close to one person for a little bit and then move on. This will reassue everyone that you are there for them and are watching.

I'm sure most of this was covered in your training, but from my point of view, this is what I would want to see from my dive master.

Jason

O-ring once bubbled...
...this weekend. Anyone have any words of wisdom, advice, or last minute tips?

Thanks!

Watch their air consumption. Unobtrusively check SPGs once in a while.

Since you're DM there's really not much to do unless the instructor is the type that will have you demo skills instead of doing it him or herself, just watch for problems and be prepared to take control of the class if the instructor has to go up with a problem student.

Tom

Look good and have your gear in great shape. Even if you are not demoing skills, you are still demoing what it is like to be a good diver.

If you are using non-PADI traditional gear - you might be proactive to talk to the instructor and insure that he is comfortable with a different gear configuration on the class.

Oh yeah - and have fun. That is the best lesson you can give new divers!

Go over positioning with instructor, make sure you each know where the other will be at all times in case of silt-out

Make sure class is thoroughly briefed in what you expect. Buddy teams staying togeather and all buddy teams staying in one tight group. Otherwise for a group of six or more, your probably gonna have a long tiring day chasing buddy teams around.

Emphasis on good pre dive safety drill

Ditto on previously mentioned items, double ditto on HAVE FUN!

If you are using non-PADI traditional gear - you might be proactive to talk to the instructor and insure that he is comfortable with a different gear configuration on the class.

After talking with the instructor, I did have to modify my gear for the class since I dive bp/wings/long hose. I just switched out my normal long hose and regulator with one on a shorter hose that is a different color (blue) and rigged a bungee octo holder onto one of my d-rings. I attached a picture...any better ways to do it?

Thanks

Yeah, if you happen to be my divemaster on my ow checkout dives this weekend ... try to help keep me alive long enough until I learn enough about the sport to keep from killing myself.

But I don't want to put any pressure on you ....

:wink:

Be patient -remember these are new divers that are nervous.
Give everyone your attention - before the dive make sure to introduce yourself and catch their names. Tell them you will be there looking out for them. After the dive ask them how they are doing and listen to them.
I remember how calm my instructor seemed and it had such a relaxing effect on me for the OW dives. Remember students are super nervous so if you are calm and have your act together, it can help them relax.
Give us a report when it is over.

As a DM during suit up, and donning of gear, double check there Air, Tank Straps, and configuration. Get with the instructor and ask what your role should be or if he has any special instructions for you. If your bold, ask if you can give the pre-dive briefing but make sure you know what the instructor needs said, which also usally includes information about what the students should expect to see and any other nice tidbits about the divesite, like depth, fish they might see, etc.

Make sure you bring your save-a-dive kit and especially o-rings. Once in the water, make sure you pay close attn to the students, make sure you know where the instructor wants you positioned ie: Side, back, etc. Be the instructors eyes, as when a instructor is working with one student he may not be able to see a problem developing so be on top of the situation. As someone said, check for air from time to time, and make sure they are ok.

When the dive is over, encourage the things you saw good, and if you saw something that wasn't proper suggest a way to solve it for the next dive. Lastly HAVE FUN!! :)

Ryan Stone
IDCS

My contribution...

Make sure the Instructor brings plenty of extra weights as someone will forget them. And take a few minutes to properly weight them for open water. You don't want them over weighted for OW, especially for the tour circuits.

Keep a bottle of cheap defog in your pocket. It's something the students probably weren't told to bring or they will forget it. Yes, it'll likely get washed out during skills but it makes them feel better to have it!

If you provide any equipment for the class, such as an extra compass, make sure you have your name on it and you know exactly who has it so you can get it back.

Praise the students at every opportunity. If you need to correct a student, take them aside and do it privately. Unless it's something you see them all doing and then you can address the entire class.

Talk with your Instructor and be clear on what's expected of you. All Instructors are different, some want only a safety diver while others will utilize you as a partner in the class.

Make it fun. Be outgoing, tell dive stories...especially if you have any funny ones on yourself as a beginner!

Have a blast! DM'ing is one of the most rewarding things you'll do!

Back
Top Bottom