DMC Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiver888-

Thanks for the reminder, those are good learning and teaching methods, I have found them helpful in other areas.

I'll still look for other tools too, although part of the challenge is available time.

Thanks again!

I hear you. Reading the manual while I wait to pick up my wife, while taking a bio-break, etc.

Hey, they should make a waterproof set of the books then you could study while diving! :D

I have my physics test this week. I haven't found anything visual like a video lecture. I'm just reading, reviewing, doing problems, re-reading, reviewing, and doing more problems. I wish I'd done this at 20 instead of at 54!

For me, anyway...reading the encyclopedia, highlighting, then making an outline of what I highlighted was my foundation. From there, being able to answer every question in the workbook section to a level where you can answer all the questions and perform all calculations correctly by both knowing the answer and why the other options are wrong make the physics test a breeze...this method got me 100% correct first try.

Good luck,

For me, anyway...reading the encyclopedia, highlighting, then making an outline of what I highlighted was my foundation. From there, being able to answer every question in the workbook section to a level where you can answer all the questions and perform all calculations correctly by both knowing the answer and why the other options are wrong make the physics test a breeze...this method got me 100% correct first try.

Good luck,
James R,

Excellent suggestion! Thanks and congrats on the 100% score!

Strategy

You need to use this to easily pass the swim test. How? I stink at free style swimming. I can only do about 3 or 4 strokes of "normal" freestyle before I have to roll over and breath on my back. I cannot time a breath under my arm to save my life.

You have to earn at least 12 points to pass.
I did all my swimming test in one day at the lake.

I float very well - 5 points
I pushed my instructor - 4 points
I swam the 800 in 14.5 minutes - 4 points - I passed
My instructor said I need to go home today so hurry up on the 400 freestyle because I was just lazing along. 1 point
I did a few freestyle, a few on my back a lot on my side. Moral of the story - Cat skinned.

Strategy

You need to use this to easily pass the swim test. How? I stink at free style swimming. I can only do about 3 or 4 strokes of "normal" freestyle before I have to roll over and breath on my back. I cannot time a breath under my arm to save my life..

Just a reminder to all that there is no standard as to what stroke you have to use for the 400 yd/meter swim. It can be crawl, sidestroke, backstroke, whatever. As long as you keep moving, you're ok.

Directly from the Instructor Manual: "The candidate must swim 400 metres/yards without stopping using no swimming aids and using any stroke or combination of strokes desired."

Pax,

Strategy

You need to use this to easily pass the swim test. How? I stink at free style swimming. I can only do about 3 or 4 strokes of "normal" freestyle before I have to roll over and breath on my back. I cannot time a breath under my arm to save my life.

You have to earn at least 12 points to pass.
I did all my swimming test in one day at the lake.

I float very well - 5 points
I pushed my instructor - 4 points
I swam the 800 in 14.5 minutes - 4 points - I passed
My instructor said I need to go home today so hurry up on the 400 freestyle because I was just lazing along. 1 point
I did a few freestyle, a few on my back a lot on my side. Moral of the story - Cat skinned.
AggieDad -

Thanks! Your experiance somewhat mirrors mine in that it's just a matter of completing the 400 yd swim. That's my concern is to just finish it.

Similiar to you I can't freestyle, my timing stinks and I'm quickly out of breath, in addition a bad shoulder doesn't allow for good tehnique. I am practicing though.

I can side stroke and breast stroke although admittedly, it may take quite awhile to swim 400 yards employing those methods. But, as you and Submariner both mention the cat is skinned if you just keep moving and complete the distance.

Thanks for your help!

Good luck,

After taking the test last night (passed) I can give one more bit of advise- make sure you take your time and read the whole question, and reread it. Things like freshwater vs. saltwater make a difference. :dunce: :dork2: :shakehead:

After taking the test last night (passed) I can give one more bit of advise- make sure you take your time and read the whole question, and reread it. Things like freshwater vs. saltwater make a difference. :dunce: :dork2: :shakehead:

Yeah, that's true for all PADI exams... :)

Also, make sure you fill in the correct answer box ... if the answer is b, don't fill in c. Ugh. That made me miss one on a different exam, which is pretty lame.
:lotsalove::dork2:

Yeah, that's true for all PADI exams... :)

Also, make sure you fill in the correct answer box ... if the answer is b, don't fill in c. Ugh. That made me miss one on a different exam, which is pretty lame.
:lotsalove::dork2:
James -

Don't you hate that when it happens! I did that the other night and I certainly will pay closer attention to the box I check.......

James -

Don't you hate that when it happens! I did that the other night and I certainly will pay closer attention to the box I check.......

Yeah...it only happened once, but that one time was enough to make me slow down and take my time. In the end, out of the eight tests, my lowest score was 90% so it's all good. Just put in the time to learn the material, and you wont have any issues passing the exams.

Best,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom