DM without internship ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackrock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
As I weed through various sources of information on getting my DM and OWSI I find myself confused about the DM portion.

Most shops/people I contact mention an internship component to the Padi DM course. I contacted a few ops that basically said I wouldn't have to pay a course fee to get my DM because the internship included doing work for their op while I was learning. I had heard of this before so no surprise. Most internships usually lasted around 2 months with others offering to make it longer if I wished.

When emailing back 1 op to clarify why I would have to pay the course fee AND have an internship, he warned me that I could get screwed working for the op for 6 months or more before I essentially payed off the course fee. He warned to check the fine print etc. Sounded like good advice. He recommended I only go and do the internship with an op that charges for the course. That didn't necessarily make sense to me.

I looked for shop that would just offer the course. (in the interest in investigating the issue thoroughly) The problem is I haven't found any shop that just offers the straight course without an internship. I contacted Padi and they confirmed an internship is not a requirement to attain DM.

So my questions are:

What is the advantage to doing an internship since I will basically be working for free for an op for at least 2 months?

Does it not make sense to do the internship with an op that will at least waive the course fee in exchange for the work I will be doing for them? Why should I do an internship AND pay for the course? (provided the internship doesn't last more than 3 months)

Has anyone taken just the straight DM course without an internship component and did you regret it when it came time for your IDC?

Thanks again everyone.

I think there may be some confusion between internship and practical application. There is no way to finish your DM without assisting with classes. That's what many dive centers and resorts refer to as an internship, so in their terminology, an internship is required. In my programs, the practical application/internship is its own course because I'm still teaching. I charge for it. It is required. If you do my internship, I'm more confident in your abilities than if you did it elsewhere. If you do it elsewhere, you may need to volunteer for me on a class or two until I know you're up to my quality standards. While my practical application course may run 2-3 months, you may need longer (rarely, if ever shorter). I won't charge you past the first round because you (hopefully) know what you're doing, you just need more time to practice it.

I agree with Scubamarketing. I took my dive master and when I did I had to assist with classes. Now that in itself was worth every second of it. Imagine your not getting paid but you are using free air, I used their gear and got to get serious bottom time for free! (well not including the course cost) but even now I can go over in the winter time where they have an indoor pool and log some confined water time (Ok I do it for personal record keeping so I know already)

If you are fortunate enough to live near the ocean and land a job as a dive master I would do it weekends mainly as they dont pay alot but free dives on a boat 2 times per week would be a savings of about 200 or more dollars per week and all for the sheer enjoyment of diving!

Now my opinion of the internship is I would not do it unless I was 100 percent sure I knew how the shop operated. You may be in for a grueling 2 months of work or more for no money returned. Slavery more less!

Practical vs. internship...that may be one of the things I was confused about. Thank you.

Can someone tell me what the Padi requirements are for the practical application? Do these take 2 months to complete generally speaking (in a resort setting with a decent number of students)?

As a dive guide, luck was on my side getting DM certified by to great PADI course directors then we opened a small dive shop from the bottom up on Roatan. I have not assisted any instructors since then but I have guided certified divers all over the Caribbean & Micronesia. I enjoy my lifestlye as a guide (no instructors) and only contract with the dive operations owner. I have seen many DMT's work their butt off & not pass the course or find a job afterward. Beware,do your homework before moving to some expensive location & go broke on bottomless promises.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

I always assumed Internship means assisting in quite a few (OW or other) courses prior to being certified. At our shop we do one OW class and one other (in my case, Rescue) and a charter (dive briefing, leading, etc.). Plus all the other academic and skill stuff. It makes sense that a longer "Internship" gives you more experience. Our shop's way seems to be OK, as we are the biggest in Atlantic Canada, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:
Practical vs. internship...that may be one of the things I was confused about. Thank you.

Can someone tell me what the Padi requirements are for the practical application? Do these take 2 months to complete generally speaking (in a resort setting with a decent number of students)?

Really it all depends. It can be as little as one class sitting all the way up to however long it takes. There are some people who are able to accomplish the task in as little as 6 to 10 days. this usually includes the bookwork all the way to the certification. Beware though the more you step out of training the more your going to miss out on in the class.

I always assumed Internship means assisting in quite a few (OW or other) courses prior to being certified. At our shop we do one OW class and one other (in my case, Rescue) and a charter (dive briefing, leading, etc.). Plus all the other academic and skill stuff. It makes sense that a longer "Internship" gives you more experience. Our shop's way seems to be OK, as we are the biggest in the Maritimes.

So what is the average time it takes one of your DMTs to complete the course with you? And I assume you charge for the course right?

Really it all depends. It can be as little as one class sitting all the way up to however long it takes. There are some people who are able to accomplish the task in as little as 6 to 10 days. this usually includes the bookwork all the way to the certification. Beware though the more you step out of training the more your going to miss out on in the class.

However long it takes for what, to pass the exam?

I have no idea how it works really. I assume you have to participate in the "practical requirement" in order to demonstrate something as part of the exam. So should I assume that if I am an intelligent person and competent diver that I should be able to pass that portion after assisting with only a couple classes?

Can someone shed some light on the requirements or how the whole DM class runs?

Thanks

Blackrock, I just finished the course. It took me over a year because I needed to get back into swim shape for the 400 meter, and other logistical problems. But generally: The Fall course starts in Oct. and can end in early Dec. --but here, most of our Instructors have "day jobs" and DMTs do also, so stuff happens on the weekends mostly--maybe the odd night. Then if the schedules of charters and weather creates problems you could be looking at finishing when things warm back up in May (June really). The other time to start is June/July, so those guys have a better chance to do it in 1.5-2 months. The course is run on a demand basis and doesn't go if there aren't about 4 DMTs. So it depends. The course was $499 Canadian (& our great 15% tax).

it depends on what you want to do with the DM time and where you are i think? and also how experienced you are.

if you're new(ish) to diving, it might be an advantage to do the internship over a full summer, go on 30 or 40 courses, get the experience.

in my case, i am staying put with my dive shop for the foreseeable future so i know if i want the variety i can ask for it, i can either work my ass off every weekend, or just do one day here and there. I wanted to get the course done ASAP, but I do need some more varied experience, so i can do it with the store who know me, know how long I've been diving and will (mostly) match me to more experienced instructors so they can offer some advice if needed.

the other thing is the instructor... make sure whatever store you go with your instructor is someone whom you like and respect. this will make the IDC much, much easier.

it also may be worth doing the DM and IDC in the same summer as the exams are the same for both courses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom