DM -- Padi or SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ari

Reaction score
Just signed up for a DM class starting next week. I am just doing it in order to become a better diver. I don't really think I will make a career out of it.

I can get either a PADI or SSI certification. Any thoughts on what's better?

Ari :)

SSI has Dive-con instead of DM it's like both DM and Assistant Instructor. It seems to me there might be more to be learned here than the PADI DM course (that is not meant as a slam against PADI).

But, I think a SSI Dive-con has to be affiliated with (work at?) an SSI shop, that may be a drawback.

That is why my training with SSI stopped at Master Diver.

Disclaimer: go back and read subject line.

Hmm, Ari,
Your goal is to become a better diver. DM class will do that, partly because u must learn "demonstration Quality" skills. There are other ways to become a better diver, though. What type of diving attracts you, anything that would require Nitrox or drysuit training? What about wrecks, caverns, or ice? If you don't want to spend time learning to deal with students & customers, DM may be a little off-purpose for you regardless the agency. Any way in which you choose to further your education, your diving will improve just because you are in a supervised situation with an instructor, building on your prior knowledge.

One of the things I like about some sayings in martial arts is that a person never truly becomes a master unless this person teaches someone the martial art.

It would be the same in diving. Regardless which agency you choose, once you finish training in leadership level, you will come out a better diver.

It also opens up new opportunities for you in the future.

1. Be a friend and lead your friends in diving, staying away from working as a professional diver. Advantage: fun and at the same time, you have a regular job which probably pays better. Disadvantage: When not assisting in courses, a lot of things can be forgotten, so it's a good idea to go back to the videos and books from time to time.

2. Work professionally. More fun and a chance to grow as a scuba diver. Perhaps an instructor in the future?

3. Work part-time. Not bad at all. You have the best of both worlds.

I am just doing it in order to become a better diver.

What about doing some technical classes? Cavern/cave? DIR-F? Specialty courses (PADI, whoever)? Get a scooter!

Lots of stuff out there to make you a better diver without "going pro".

Either course should make you a better diver.

I think the Rescue course did more for my diving ability than anything else, but it wasn't until taking the Divemaster course that I "grew a brain", which is to say that I realized there's more ways of diving than discussed in any agency's dogma. It was a good wake-up.

Have fun!

g2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom