Dm Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dementid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have always been trying to avoid the dm class for two reasons the responsibilty and the expense. but for someone wanting to further the diving path kinda leaning towards some of the tech classes. Is there any really big difference to the two side do/dont and if so what are some of the advantages :confused:

If you are looking into going tech the DM class does nothing to prepare you for this. (I am a tech instructor) DM is designed for people who want to work in the industry as guides and assistant Instructors and later instructors it does not teach you how to tech dive or give you the skills necessary to tech dive.

Some classes that will help NAUI Master Scuba Diver- gives you the knowledge background deco theory, planning etc

Into to Tech, Fundies, Essentials from NAUI, GUE, UTD gives you the skills necessary to embark on the tech path. ( I believe TDI may have an intro course also)

Your first step should be find a tech instructor and talk with him or her about your current level and where you want to get to and work out a training and diving plan. Your tech instructor should be an active tech diver that conducts the type of dives on a regular basis that you want to be trained how to do. Tech diving is not about collecting cards but getting good solid technical training from experienced instructors.

I agree, DM is not about dive skills, it's about dealing with other divers. Sure you learn some useful information but it's nothing you can't get by reading a little. If you want better dive skills, take dive classes, if you want to work with people and maybe instruct then go DM......and you can pay for a lot of classes for what DM cost..it's not cheap.

DM won't help you towards Tech diving. But for me being a DM since I work for a shop I now have free air fills, get into dive locations for free if I help with classes, and can also get discounts on gear.

That may not sound like much for at $8 a airfill it can add up pretty quick and tech get can get very expensive.

OP -- Re-read Japan Diver's post and each time you think about DM to help out with your "technical" diving skills, re-read it again!

What errybody else said.

On the other side of things, I found having gone through a PADI DM course that was well taught, did reinforce some of the materials taught at various levels of my technical training. Theory/math being an example. You can not get to much practical scuba training and education or actual diving if your target is true technical diving. So I found it to a point helpful later down the road. Is it ness., 'no' ....does it help, did for me. :)

Last edited:
I finished Divecon (SSI DM and AI) cert about a year ago. I spent a lot of weekends this summer working with classes. I would not say it was helpful for tech training, but it has done a lot to improve my situational awareness, and I can definately say that many of my skills improved.
There are definate benefits depending on what LDS you work with, but you will also have to pay for professional liability insurance on an annual basis, plus the annual fee for the organization you certify with.

I finished Divecon (SSI DM and AI) cert about a year ago. I spent a lot of weekends this summer working with classes. I would not say it was helpful for tech training, but it has done a lot to improve my situational awareness, and I can definately say that many of my skills improved.
There are definate benefits depending on what LDS you work with, but you will also have to pay for professional liability insurance on an annual basis, plus the annual fee for the organization you certify with.

Carrie, which of the new SSI Tech programs have you completed! :)

Carrie, which of the new SSI Tech programs have you completed! :)

I'm still in Adv Deco/Tech Foundations. I have one more dive with Layne to be finished. I still plan on going to FL next week and one of the classes I'll take when I'm on the wreck will be the Adv Deco Procedures.

Back
Top Bottom