DIY php/mysql dive log, anybody?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mick_O

Contributor
Reaction score
I figured this may fit the best in this forum. I've been looking high and low for some kind of (free as in beer) dive logging software. The dive logging at PADI.com seems cumbersome and somewhat sluggish. I noticed that someone had started on something at sourceforge, but had no files published yet. As a *nix d00de, I like the php/mysql/apache combo a lot, and was just wondering if some regulator-wielding nerd out there had written/would like to cooperate about writing some kind of GPL'ed dive log software. You could probably do something that would plug into phpNuke or something similar, but I ain't THAT php savvy.

Well, I guess I fit the bill of a regulator wielding nerd and a *nix dude. I have an in-progress FileMaker based divelog, but that is a for-sale type thing($20, so it's not bad either).
As far as a php/mysql based log, it would be a lot of work for little return. And it wouldn't be the kind of thing that one would just install on their home computer(granted, my home PC is a linux box, so I could do it, but that is beside the point). The main issue is the hassle of setting up a full fledged database server for a single app like this. I used to have a dive log written in java, and it would fit the bill, but that is long since gone(an old college project). It used a serialized interface to store the data, so it didn't need a separate db.
If you are really interested in doing a divelog for linux, I could contribute a small amount of time to it, but I don't promise any miracles, either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom