DIY LED Canister Lamp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compared to a 10 or 11 watt HID it is significantly brighter. Apparent brightnesss is > 2X the HIDs.
Any light is inefficient (heat vs light output).
Just a matter of how inefficient. LEDs are now able to beat a HID as being less inefficient (or more positively more efficient)
For design conservatism, assume that all of the power you put into ANY light source will be heat.
The heatsink is a simple disc of aluminum (~1.9" across and .5" thick) which sandwiches the LEDs to the aluminum reflector. It is a close slip fit into the housing (more heat sink). The better you can do the fit of heat sink to housing, the lower the thermal resistance and the lower the LED chip temperature. With something higher power like the SSC P7s it would get to be difficult.

I'm new to DIY and haven't attempted to build a light yet, so bare with me. But would it be possible to seal the reflector and LED/ LED’s and then uses a non-conductive cooling fluid, such as that used to cool computers, for direct contact. The metal housing would act like a radiator cooling the internals of the head. Allowing for a higher heat allowance.

Also did you build the canister housing and head housing or purchase, if so from where?

I have an LED light also in the works, I elected to use a copper heat sink.

1/2 thick alum will also give you a good thermal lag, that's a good size mass.

Mike D

Compared to a 10 or 11 watt HID it is significantly brighter. Apparent brightnesss is > 2X the HIDs.
Any light is inefficient (heat vs light output).
Just a matter of how inefficient. LEDs are now able to beat a HID as being less inefficient (or more positively more efficient)
For design conservatism, assume that all of the power you put into ANY light source will be heat.
The heatsink is a simple disc of aluminum (~1.9" across and .5" thick) which sandwiches the LEDs to the aluminum reflector. It is a close slip fit into the housing (more heat sink). The better you can do the fit of heat sink to housing, the lower the thermal resistance and the lower the LED chip temperature. With something higher power like the SSC P7s it would get to be difficult.

I have an LED light also in the works, I elected to use a copper heat sink.

1/2 thick alum will also give you a good thermal lag, that's a good size mass.

Mike D

Also, remember you are using these under water, so you shouldn't need a huge heat sink since the water will help greatly in reducing heat.

Here is my finished light. You can call this my budget video package. I'll be trying it in Florida March 8-15 in the caves. The blue shot is the Salvo 21W LED. It is definitely bluer in color, though not as noticeable as the picture shows. My home built is definitely brighter. The 21W Salvo gets lost in its spot. The picture does not do it justice definitely much whiter and bigger spot with much more light around the sides. Now for pool testing tomorrow. Wish me luck with leaks.

http://s535.photobucket.com/albums/ee355/350xfire/SSCP7 x 3/

Hi xfire. Nice idea with the 3 LEDs in a rectangle. I have had a similar set up trying to escape from my mind onto my work bench for some time now.

Thanks, packhorse. I built a video housing out of 4" PVC and will be using a hose clamp to hold this to the bittom of it. The 3 P7s sure do put out a lot of light. I had to modify the heck out of the reflectors to make them fit. I wish I would have had a lathe for that. I also paid $40 to have the faces milled in order to flatten everything up perfectly (wish I had a mill for that). She is not really pretty, but she sure is bright. I had a minor leak on the canister so I am redoing with schedule 80 PVC instead of sched 40. Just need another o-ring to try again. Hope I can get it ready for next week. Going back to Florida cave diving.

Alright, I'm in cave country and tried mine to 70 feet. Works great.

Hello to everyone here.
I'm trying to do my own led lamp with SSC P7 ( 3x or 4x) in the same head . I have only one question , which it is very important for me for construction of head (dimensions) - light through lens or light reflected by reflector .
Important because a lens for P7 a very big ( 38mm in diameter and about 16mm high -single lens from SEXONIK 10°) and reflectors (28mm in diameter and 16mm high from KHATOD) Which of them have better efficiency? I'd like to use this light as video lamp and put it on Goodman handle but diameter of front glass looks in that case a little too big - including glass sealant .

hint for heat exchange :

Put water flow direct under SSC P7 ( same thing as by computer processors water cooling )

Best regards from Slovenia

Last edited:
Hello to everyone here.
I'm trying to do my own led lamp with SSC P7 ( 3x or 4x) in the same head . I have only one question , which it is very important for me for construction of head (dimensions) - light through lens or light reflected by reflector .
Important because a lens for P7 a very big ( 38mm in diameter and about 16mm high -single lens from SEXONIK 10Ž°) and reflectors (28mm in diameter and 16mm high from KHATOD) Which of them have better efficiency? I'd like to use this light as video lamp and put it on Goodman handle but diameter of front glass looks in that case a little too big - including glass sealant .

hint for heat exchange :

Put water flow direct under SSC P7 ( same thing as by computer processors water cooling )

Best regards from Slovenia

I got smaller (25mm) reflectors or such and cut and modified them to fit over the P7s. Definitely use a lens, otherwise you'll have light all over the place and not reflected over the area you want to film. I tried it without and did not like it. You'll need a pretty big battery pack to drive them for any amount of time.

Hi!

The pack I think will be normal size ( 72 mm diameter / 240mm high / -D size cell 10.000mAh)

The reason why I ask about difference between lens or reflectors it is great webpage from

3w.tauchfunzel.de/index_en.htm

He also put a lot of power in small place - with lens it is to do that a little difficult and to keep head small enogh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom