DIY dive gear successes and failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought about trying something like as well but I think the trouble is that the O-ring we're using is to thick or that we didn't recess the grove for the buld enough. Either way the pressure can compress the exterior glass lens and O-ring to the point that the bulb can't take the pressure and it cracks causing the o-ring to leak. If the O-ring was thinner or the grove deeper the exterior lens will only compress to the point that it contacts the lip of the light head. Once it's compressed that far it can't go any further and the bulb won't be put under any more pressure no matter how deep we go.

Scott

I tried out my light this weekend. I took it to 110ft and it worked great. It did have some leakage in the light head but I haven't figured out exactly where from. I put silicone around the lense so it shouldn't have leaked there and I also put thread sealant around the threads behind the lense. I guess the pressure could have pressed the lense in enough to leak but the only other thing I could think of is maybe the fitting leaked a little.

As for my spring straps, miserable failure! The stainless split ring I used to attach them to my Jets was not near strong enough. The straps popped off before I could even get in the water. I guess I'll have to come up with something else.

I'd take a look at the fitting. Mine leaked throught the fitting the first time I took it in the water too. I figured out it was in around the threads of the fitting where it mates to the light head. If you didn't install an O-ring around the base of the fitting to seal it to the light head that's most likely where it's coming from.

Scott

If anyone is still looking for parts I found the power cord on this Ebay auction.

Power Cord

Scott

pcscuba:
I tried out my light this weekend. I took it to 110ft and it worked great. It did have some leakage in the light head but I haven't figured out exactly where from. I put silicone around the lense so it shouldn't have leaked there and I also put thread sealant around the threads behind the lense. I guess the pressure could have pressed the lense in enough to leak but the only other thing I could think of is maybe the fitting leaked a little.

As for my spring straps, miserable failure! The stainless split ring I used to attach them to my Jets was not near strong enough. The straps popped off before I could even get in the water. I guess I'll have to come up with something else.

There's a better, easier solution put up here by a guy named "Pipedope"... use stainless shackles from West Marine and 10/32 Philips screws. Mine work GREAT, and not only are they 3000x stronger, they look better, too.

OK, made several things that work, two dive floats, (one PVC pipe and one innertube design) and a dive slate made from old keyboards (only the back from my mums, hop she doesn't notce, simplest ideas in the world, so i don't see how i could of failed them, my next i dea is that i found that you could waterproof a tape player (who'd want to?) somewhere on the web, forget where, by stretching a condom over and knotting the end, the tyraping the end, then knotting the end with string, anyone tried this on a light, was going to try to make a lgith from using a idea on the forum but a) some were more expensive to make then buy and b) or were to complicated stopped me, don't want a special one, just a one for daytime use in open water, so no need for canister or anything like tat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom