Diy Bc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airbornescubaguy

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone made their own BC bladder? I have tried to contact Dacor for a new bladder, but I have not received a response. It looks like the most difficult aspect of the DIY bladder would be the heat seal between the two pieces of polyeurethane sheeting.

airbornescubaguy:
Has anyone made their own BC bladder? I have tried to contact Dacor for a new bladder, but I have not received a response. It looks like the most difficult aspect of the DIY bladder would be the heat seal between the two pieces of polyeurethane sheeting.

I have been thinking of this option, and I've goon as far as collecting some of the hardware, but then I got me a good (and cheap) wing, and stoped.

There seem to be two basic options: Either you make a "tubless" bladder, or you make a two layer one. The first option may be posible with good, high quolaty cordura (not checked, but as far as I can tell it will hold air), with auqa-seal on the seams. A better option - RF wellding - is probably not an option for one-offs like this.

the other option is to get some uritane plastic (when I was in the army, many years ago, we used old Hartman solution bags for sealing water out of gear - they are easy to work with, very strong and where easy to get at the time) and welld in together. Heat may work, and there is probabaly some solven that could dissolve the plastic and weld it together. For this you will need to add a cordura shell - and make sure the shall is slightly smaller then the blader - as you be pruduce a segnificanly stronger shell.

But I have to say I find this less of a desighred option - it's a life support item, professional made versions use equipment you probably can't get hold of, and there are very nice alternatives out there. Try Oxycheck, for one. They seem to make very nice bladders, and do not seem to charge an arm and a leg for them.

The big risk with the DIY approach to bladder replacement would be a burst seam which would empty the bladder in nothing flat and leave little potential for air trapping. I had this occur with the wing on my AtPac a long time ago. If it occurs at the wrong time, or in a situation where you are not readily able to swim your gear to the surface the consequences can be expensive and potentially dire.

Is is about the last area I would consider for a DIY project. You are better off getting a new BC.

I think this might be a topic for a new darwin award. Really think hard about doing this.

one more thing. make double sure that you have an over pressure relive valve, and that is works. blowing up your bladder may prove rather unplesent.

there may be an easyer way to do all this - you may be able to get a reasnablly priced uritane bladder, and build a shell for it. this is no rocket science, and all you really need is a good sowing machine and someone capable if operating it.

dive safely

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom