Diving your own profile in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajeeper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering what operator you would recommend. I just got back from Grand Bahama and dived with UNEXSO, a good operation, very professional but it's a follow the dive master kind of diving and I got back on the boat with 1200 psi after every dive, I would rather dive my own profile, I don't need a baby sitter, so who would you recommend inj Cozumel.

Thanks.

AFAIK, every dive in Cozumel is with dive master , but not all of the ops will make everyone go up together..I dove with Blue Magic Scuba while I was there and they would send the divers up in pairs when they hit the predetermined turn pressure...I'm sure there are other ops that do it that way also

your best source of information would probably be Christi....shoot her a PM..
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/christi-14170.html

A few resorts have shore diving, that is not DM lead. You could follow your own profile on those dives.

Keep in mind, the reefs are protected, which is one reason for a DM.

One of your best bets is to contact a few ops and ask them specifically about their policy. Does the DM make everyone ascend as a group once the first person is @ 700 psi? (this is the number many DMs use- but perhaps not all do) Or does the op send buddy pairs up as they get low on air? Typically with the ops that use this method, the DM will shoot a bag when the first divers ascend to their safety stop. Then as each buddy pair needs to ascend, they do so under the SMB and the boat picks them up. Finally the DM surfaces with the last divers remaining.

The ops that I have been with and use the latter method are Blue Angel and Blue XT Sea. I am positive many others do the same, but I only want to relate personal experience.

Best of luck with your research and enjoy.

Some jurisdictions require that all dives/divers are led by a DM. The marine park around Cozumel is one such place AFAIK.

In other places, it depends on the dive op. Our op in Bermuda for example had no problem with us doing or own thing if we wanted to, as long as everyone got back on the boat in time.

I understand the need for DM's, and don't mind that at all, I just want the bottom time I'm paying for.

Contact Tres Pelicanos at: dive@trespelicanos.com

The DM there, Servando, is fantastic and you will be allowed to dive your air and computer. I did my 100th dive with them and was the last one out of the water after a 100 minute dive :) Yes Servando leads the dive but experienced divers are allowed to "do their own thing" to a large extent. I dove with them for two months my last trip to Coz and was never once forced to surface before I wanted to.

All boat dives are going to be led by a DM in Cozumel, 8 divers max, per the regulations there.

Some dive ops give the divers more freedom, but the current, the DRIFT, determine that everyone goes the same direction pretty much the whole dive. I have always been able to dive my computer no matter what boat I am diving from (I have used 4 diff ops in the past 13 years). That said... after around an hour dive, I am ready to get back on the boat usually, no matter how much air I have left. Yes, I get back on the boat with over 1000psi most dives in Cozumel. One of the reasons... there are other people already back on the boat waiting. Another reason, I am ready for a break and for the boat to get moved to next dive site. Another reason, I don't like to pee in my suit, and SCC has a head on every boat for people like me.

I would also recommend Tres Pelicano, Servando will allow you to dive your computer and tank. great people and great boat. I regularly will get 70+ min dive times but it is a good idea to have your own SMB if you plan to strech the end of the dive past the DM's air supply.

Back
Top Bottom