Diving your own profile in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont know about "special" but diving with Tres Pelicanos I was allowed to do this and saw many others that were as well during the almost two months I dove with them. Yes the DM wont allow everyone to do it, but once he sees you have the requisite skills I dont think you have to be his drinking buddy to be allowed to or anything like that.

It might work on some people, I guess.

Then why would you say that you "tried to bow out" if you didn't? And BTW, if this is a fight it is indeed one that you cannot win. You could of course declare victory and run away... :D
As I recall, I did declare victory and I tried to walk away, if not run. But the dead horse kept on kicking. Some people refuse to concede even in the face of overwhelming odds. Two choices at that point, ignore them, or step back in the fray to deliver the coup de grace.

As I recall, I did declare victory and I tried to walk away, if not run. But the dead horse kept on kicking. Some people refuse to concede even in the face of overwhelming odds. Two choices at that point, ignore them, or step back in the fray to deliver the coup de grace.
Good luck with that one. If you define victory as complete capitulation by everyone who disagrees with you, then it isn't going to end well for you, if indeed it ever ends. I can agree to disagree, can you?

So what happens on a dive where they send divers up in pairs as they run low on air, and you and your dive buddy out last the dive master's supply? Does he wave goodbye and goes up and waits for you on the boat?

It depends on the DM's training, experience & working policies; whether it's a first or second tank dive and what the profiles & SI are/were; where the remaining divers are in relation to him and the boat; how well he knows those divers' skills and equipment; whether he is really low on air (which is rare) or cold or if there are other issues.

I've seen this handled many ways -- from forcing everyone to end their dives to giving parting instructions ("Stay around here to another 15 minutes; then start the safety stop.") before leaving. Most commonly -- where the divers behind are either visible or known to be coming toward the boat -- the DM has either stayed in the water, hanging at 15' or less with bouy deployed, or stayed on the surface hanging onto or in the lee of the boat and looking down at the remaining divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom