Diving your own profile in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was QUITE a few years ago...13 to be exact: In 2000, singer Kirsty MacColl - famous for her Christmas duet Fairytale Of New York - was killed by a speedboat aged 41, while scuba diving in Mexico with her two sons.
Sad story, that. She had been pugging away at the music industry for years, but when her song "In These Shoes?" became a hit, she had just been killed.

Kirsty MacColl sang on The Pogues' "Fairytale of New York", as well. It's become a standard every Christmas, at least in England.

Oh, and word is she got killed pushing her child out of the way of the boat.

I'll shop at Mega now that it's no longer enriching the family of the guy who certainly was recklessly responsible, but I wouldn't until the company sold. That could have been any of us in the water in front of an entitled rich guy that day.

To add more to what is said regarding the Aldora air sharing rule at 1000psi. It is simply to keep divers gas consumption rounded out so people can ascend as group. At 1000psi, people still have a healthy margin of gas to make a direct ascend in the event of an emergency, more-so if they have an HP120 on their backs.

If for whatever reason, the diver has to get off the long hose so that the DM can attend to an emergency, the diver still has his/her 1000psi reserve.

My badly rounded maths..
AL80 - 1000/3000 x 77 = 22.6cuft
HP100 - 1000/3500 x 100 = 28.5cuft
HP120 - 1000/3500 x 120 = 34.2cuft

Not a huge difference between the AL80 and HP100 but between the HP120 and AL80, it's a nice safety margin.

To add more to what is said regarding the Aldora air sharing rule at 1000psi. It is simply to keep divers gas consumption rounded out so people can ascend as group. At 1000psi, people still have a healthy margin of gas to make a direct ascend in the event of an emergency, more-so if they have an HP120 on their backs.

If for whatever reason, the diver has to get off the long hose so that the DM can attend to an emergency, the diver still has his/her 1000psi reserve.

My badly rounded maths..
AL80 - 1000/3000 x 77 = 22.6cuft
HP100 - 1000/3500 x 100 = 28.5cuft
HP120 - 1000/3500 x 120 = 34.2cuft

Not a huge difference between the AL80 and HP100 but between the HP120 and AL80, it's a nice safety margin.
Divers can lie so it may be that there really isn't a 1000 psi reserve unless the DM personally verifies the air pressure. And I wasn't aware you could breathe a tank down to zero, only to IP. And air consumption will increase if there is an emergency. And de-sharing air will take a least a few precious seconds that might make the difference in an emergency. And the emergency might not result in heading directly to the surface.

But keep beating the dead horse all you want.

Divers can lie so it may be that there really isn't a 1000 psi reserve unless the DM personally verifies the air pressure. And I wasn't aware you could breathe a tank down to zero, only to IP. And air consumption will increase if there is an emergency. And de-sharing air will take a least a few precious seconds that might make the difference in an emergency. And the emergency might not result in heading directly to the surface.

But keep beating the dead horse all you want.

I get it; You don't like Aldora and don't agree with their air sharing practices. Different strokes for different folks. Find somewhere else to complain about it and stop crapping on someone's else thread. The original point of the thread was a diver wishing to dive their tank; many different dive operators were mentioned, all of them very good. In essence Aldora lets you do that by having a larger gas volume to do so while maintaining a slightly healthier reserve.

My point still stands. You can argue increased SAC rates in an emergency, inability to breath a regulator down to 0psi all you want however 1000psi in an HP120 is still more than 1000psi in an AL80. That is largely my point.

I get it; You don't like Aldora and don't agree with their air sharing practices. Different strokes for different folks. Find somewhere else to complain about it and stop crapping on someone's else thread. The original point of the thread was a diver wishing to dive their tank; many different dive operators were mentioned, all of them very good. In essence Aldora lets you do that by having a larger gas volume to do so while maintaining a slightly healthier reserve.

My point still stands. You can argue increased SAC rates in an emergency, inability to breath a regulator down to 0psi all you want however 1000psi in an HP120 is still more than 1000psi in an AL80. That is largely my point.
My last post was 4 days ago. The issue was dead until you brought it up again. And you're accusing me of crapping on another's thread? The original thread was "diving your own profile". How can one dive one's own profile when all the divers in a group are required to ascend at once?

---------- Post added August 28th, 2013 at 07:39 PM ----------

No need. You are doing an adequate job of it yourself. :D
Apparently I get other to do my beating for me. I've tried to bow out this thread several times after I realized my points were already thoroughly hashed over in the December 2012 thread that I cited, with the really expert expert divers concluding the same as me I might add :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom