Diving your own profile in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious. When one or two divers are sharing air from the DM, what happens if there's an emergency that the DM needs to respond to quickly?

---------- Post added August 17th, 2013 at 10:50 AM ----------

Wouldn't it be much safer to simply give the heavy breathers pony tanks?

I have not seen two divers sharing air with the DM. Emergency situation...the person on the long hose goes back to their regulator.

Emergency situation...the person on the long hose goes back to their regulator.
Potentially creating another emergency? Or does the DM concentrate on the air-sharing diver to ensure that the diver safely recovers and successfully starts using his or her own regulator before dealing with said emergency?

Potentially creating another emergency? Or does the DM concentrate on the air-sharing diver to ensure that the diver safely recovers and successfully starts using his or her own regulator before dealing with said emergency?

I can switch regs any time and my buddy can help me if I have an issue. That's why we have buddies, right?

Once my wife and I were diving some Coz reef and she hadn't checked her tank pressure before rolling off (something she will never repeat). When we got to depth she finally looked at her gauge and found that she only had 1500psi. I had 3000psi, so we shared my air until it was down to 1500psi, and then she switched over to hers and we finished the dive. While we were sharing she kept a firm grip on my BC with one hand and her reg in the other, and we stayed clear of the reef and out of any tight places. It was no big deal.

I can switch regs any time and my buddy can help me if I have an issue. That's why we have buddies, right?
Oh yeah, buddies. I always forget about that. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would rather dive my own profile, I don't need a baby sitter, so who would you recommend inj Cozumel.

I'd recommend another island.

Diving within the park requires a DM (by law). The very best you'll do is find one who will to what you want, but it's still nothing like going diving with just a buddy (or solo).

flots.

Once my wife and I were diving some Coz reef and she hadn't checked her tank pressure before rolling off (something she will never repeat). When we got to depth she finally looked at her gauge and found that she only had 1500psi. I had 3000psi, so we shared my air until it was down to 1500psi, and then she switched over to hers and we finished the dive. While we were sharing she kept a firm grip on my BC with one hand and her reg in the other, and we stayed clear of the reef and out of any tight places. It was no big deal.
Ah, so because you and your wife survived it once successfully, it should be common practice?

Ah, so because you and your wife survived it once successfully, it should be common practice?
I make no recommendations for anyone else. We judged it to be a safe and reasonable solution to the problem at hand, so we did it. It was obviously safer doing at the beginning of the dive when she still had plenty of air.

To each his own. For example, I don't think diving with a hangover is safe, so I don't do it. As I remember, you don't agree.

To each his own. For example, I don't think diving with a hangover is safe, so I don't do it. As I remember, you don't agree.
I've never heard of a dive op actively encouraging hungover diving. Apparently non-emergency emergency air sharing is a different matter.

But I guess this is beating a dead horse. The topic was hashed out in http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-421124.html and the consensus among the experienced instructors was that it's a terrible idea. I agree. Too bad the dead horse is still alive and kicking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom