Diving without problems - Is it possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well over 1000 dives and being certified for 30 years and I haven't even had OOA unless we have been doing drills.
I've had wet drysuits and minor gear failure, but nothing ended a dive besides getting cold.

Plan your dive and dive your plan. Train for the worst and you'll be fine.

bogrady:
Is there anyone out there that has simply enjoyed years and years of trouble free, enjoyable diving? I'm not talking about the odd O ring failure (had that happen to my buddy/son on our 12th dive), but I'm talking about those life threaten - do or die - one bad decision and I'm toast kind of problems.
The difference between a "near death experience" and an annoying problem is getting good training, and doing what you have been trained to do, and not doing dumb things.

With a good buddy, good training and good judgement, the only way I can think of to have a "near death experience" is with some sort of medical problem.

If you read "Diver Down" or the "Accidents and Incidents" section here, almost every single one could have been eliminated if people dived within their limits and followed their training.

The few deaths and injuries that this wouldn't have fixed were generally caused by medical problems.

Terry

Web Monkey:
The difference between a "near death experience" and an annoying problem is getting good training, and doing what you have been trained to do, and not doing dumb things.

i disagree...

the difference between a near death experience and an annoying problem is
whether that gun your wife is pointing at you is loaded nor not

As people seem to be saying, avoid those problems that are avoidable (I've replaced K-valve O-rings because they looked at me rudely), and prepare for what you would do in the event of an unforeseen failure (If your BC inflator sticks? If your dump valve sticks? etc).

About the only other thing I can add from my measley 27 dives so far is that Douglas Adams had it right with The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy: *DON'T PANIC*

If you need practice learning how to respond to any situation without panic, I would heartily recommend running sound (especially at weddings), driving to the Arctic Ocean (solo, of course), backcountry hiking alone (night would be good), and the best training, of course, would be getting kicked in the face as often as possible and by as many people as possible.

(I lost count of how many times the group of firefighters on our OW checkout kicked my mask askew or my regulator out or whatever... I was great before that, but I had *absolutely* no problems with panic or regulator and mask recovery and clearing after several dives eith them. It stuck, too -- this weekend, I was near the cavern in Vortex Spring, FL, when a class *walked* [yes, ***walked***] by on their way to the cave [*BAD* instructor! *Bad!* *Bad!*]. I had my regulator back and my mask clear in time to see the last of the students disappear into the now heavily silted cave.)

bogrady:
I can live with the occasional minor emergency, but I'd like to think that it is possible to log 50+ dives every year for the next few decades without a required near death experience.

3 years, 200+ dives. two worst i've had were a valve turned off + 1/4 turn on around dive #20, which resulted in throwing an OOA on the DM/buddy, and some work on valve drills later -- and one runaway ascent around dive #50 from 70 fsw caused by increasing insulation layer in the drysuit without compensating with more weight and not noticing it when i descended. lately its been pretty boring and cluster-free (knock on wood).

usmc4x4:
I can tell you that the seriousness of an emergency is completely dependant upon you. If you remain calm and use the tools at your disposal you will be fine.

BS. There are lotsa things that can go wrong with you, your buddy, the weather, the boat, sea condition, dangerous sealife and also with equipment. Sometimes you will not be fine regardless of what you do.

But have fun, if you have good gear, a good buddy, good training and practice, it is probably a lot more dangerous driving your car to the dive shop than doing normal recreational dives.

Other than the kinds of things others have mentioned, mostly minor personal stupidity (submerging with a snorkel in my mouth, one of my favorites, or failing to zip the drysuit ALL the way up), I have only had one harrowing experience. Another diver (not my buddy, I was one of two divemasters on that dive) ran out of air at 80 feet and started for the surface. I chased him down and shared air with him, but did not get the ascent under control before we reached 6 feet. Everything turned out OK, but it was scary for the next day or so waiting to see if I was going to develop any DCS symptoms. I learned a few things that day. Otherwise, everything's been fine.

Being a pretty new diver myself, its reassuring to read about how many experienced divers haven't had any emergently serious problems to deal with. After reading the Accident forum for a bit, you start wondering whether your new passionate hobby might have been a bad idea. Heh.

It's like anything else in life: there are people who do it just to get it done and people who do it to get as much out of it as possible and learn all about the benefits/risks and learn to mitigate much of the risk through education/drilling.

I like being in the group that seriously studies about their interests and doesn't like to cut corners when safety is concerned.

divingjd:
Other than the kinds of things others have mentioned, mostly minor personal stupidity (submerging with a snorkel in my mouth, one of my favorites, or failing to zip the drysuit ALL the way up), I have only had one harrowing experience. Another diver (not my buddy, I was one of two divemasters on that dive) ran out of air at 80 feet and started for the surface. I chased him down and shared air with him, but did not get the ascent under control before we reached 6 feet. Everything turned out OK, but it was scary for the next day or so waiting to see if I was going to develop any DCS symptoms. I learned a few things that day. Otherwise, everything's been fine.

A lot of people have switched to folding/pocket snorkels because of that. I know I have.

FWIW, your chances of catching and stopping a runaway diver are pretty slim. If it happens again, and you didn't catch him within the first few feet, just wave goodbye, do a normal safe ascent and meet him on the surface. You can't help your buddy if you're injured.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom