Diving with Whale Sharks Oslob Cebu (7 Black, 4Kp60)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The link in my previous post related to fish and chips in Australia, but it is not just Australia that serves shark in their fish and chips. Happens in the UK too. Endangered shark species are being sold in fish and chip shops - CNN

Sharks fin soup is not cheap so lots of people in China can't afford it. On the other hand, fish and chips is quite affordable for the majority of people in the UK. On a per capita consumption basis, I would not be surprised if shark consumption in the UK exceeds shark consumption in China. Just pure conjecture, but would be interested if anyone had statistics.

CWK, I didn't know endangered sharks are being sold in fish and chip shops in Australia and the UK.

Two good articles on Whale Sharks in Oslob:

1. National Geographic: Inside the Chaotic World of Whale Shark Tourism wrote: "As far the sharks go, most visit for a few days or weeks and move on. But some—four percent of the total—become year-round residents." "whale shark tourism—with its unknown effects on the animals—shows no signs of slowing down."

As I stated, these whale sharks decide whether to show up at Oslob or simply continue on their migratory routes. Between killing / poaching and short-term feeding for 96% of the whale sharks that stop by, I'll take feeding anytime!

2. The Guardian: How whale sharks saved a Philippine fishing town and its sea life

At Oslob, I saw people, my family included, totally thrilled to see the largest sharks in the ocean for the first time, eagerly taking photos to show on social media. Yes, it's chaotic, but from my POV they behaved no differently from excited swimmers seeing whale sharks in the open ocean. Slowly but surely, attitudes toward eating sharks will change and more people will join in to support their conversations. I just hope it'll happen soon enough to keep some species from being wiped out.

Top 5 endangered sharks
1. Great white shark
2. Whale shark
3. Scalloped hammerhead
4. Dusky shark
5. Basking shark

It is for this reason, I skipped this attraction when I was diving in Cebu the first week of February 2019. Lovely video; thanks for sharing. GJS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom