Diving with Whale Sharks Oslob Cebu (7 Black, 4Kp60)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A.Y.

Registered
Reaction score

Diving with the majestic Whales Sharks in Oslob, Cebu was amazing. When these gentle giants swam by within an arm-length distance, we could feel the wake of their powerful tail fins. Incredibly, we swam with the largest sharks in the ocean for about an hour and a half - two 45-minute dives - and it was totally worth traveling half way around the globe to experience this! By the way, only a few places in the world offer opportunities like this.

Sadly, whale shark population is decreasing so we need to double our effort on their conservation.

GoPro Hero 7 Black, 4Kp60

i just saw a documentary on Whales Sharks in Oslob a day ago..... i had the pleasure of swimming with one off the coast of ft. lauderdale florida a few years ago.....thanks for sharing your video.

Awesome!

Hi « A.Y. »

Nice video :) but I think the 4K it's luxury when water is changed with particles

At 1:36 ( platax) the 4K gives wonderful details :):)

You wrote
« Sadly, whale shark population is decreasing so we need to double our effort on their conservation. »

Perhaps for reason here after ! :rant:
An illegal slaughterhouse of whale sharks discovered in China
=> Un abattoir clandestin de requins-baleines découvert en Chine - Magazine GoodPlanet Info

I prefer watching and filming whale shark « in natural condition » :wink: as we did it in 2015 at the south Ari Atoll

Sorry :( for the bad quality of my video (résolution and colors ) :confused:, It was, in 2015, with my first video caméra and Movie Maker.
=>
Since 2016, I use « Sony HDR-AS50 and « iMovie on MacBook Pro », it’ s much more better:bounce:

Like => Video in free diving

Hi
Just to let you know that the whale sharks in Oslob is a bit controversial as their presence is mainly due to feeding...and your video confirms that...

Hi Jale,

I knew Oslob since several years by reports I saw on TV ( Ushuaia mostly known by french talkers)

Looks as though we missed an opportunity by a week as one showed up on Cayman Brac and swam with divers for the day last week! O we’ll, there’s aiways next time :)

Whale shark population is in steep decline because fishermen kill them for their fins and meat. Fishermen in Oslob discovered feeding them for 5 hours a day instead of killing actually bring in more money. It's not perfect by any stretch of imagination, but I'll take a live shark over a dead one anytime. Some whale sharks return to Oslob some don't, it's up to them to decide whether they want to be fed and swim with the tourists or not.

I post this video on FaceBook to show my friends how beautiful these gentle giants are and to advocate banning shark finning and shark fin soup. It's great that shark fin soup consumption in China has decline 80% since 2011, but the conservation efforts are far from over.

I have seen some footage of Oslob whale shark experience from outside the water. It looks like an utter circus and is a blight on the human race.

Whale shark population is in steep decline because fishermen kill them for their fins and meat. Fishermen in Oslob discovered feeding them for 5 hours a day instead of killing actually bring in more money. It's not perfect by any stretch of imagination, but I'll take a live shark over a dead one anytime. Some whale sharks return to Oslob some don't, it's up to them to decide whether they want to be fed and swim with the tourists or not.

I post this video on FaceBook to show my friends how beautiful these gentle giants are and to advocate banning shark finning and shark fin soup. It's great that shark fin soup consumption in China has decline 80% since 2011, but the conservation efforts are far from over.
Well, fine for you if your justification makes you feel good.
Good for you also to try to increase awareness against shark fin soup but as you said the probkem is from China and posting on FB, won't help much as FB is out of reach in China.
A basket player is more efficient overthere :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom