Diving with the Bull sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had one of those 'had to' moments too with the oceanics. One came by so close I went to stroke it before re-thinking and pulling my hands back. I'm sure it would have been ok but on balance better to stick within the parameters I had already set myself.

As far as seeking out sharks goes- which seems to be an ongoing question for you: yes, why not?

Most trips now I deliberately go looking for sharks. I don't go with boats that chum or anything like that, I go to places you find them naturally. I do mostly liveabords and mostly in remote(ish) locations where sharks are relatively plentiful.

It might seem like a cheap shot, or an easy thrill, but I do as much as I can when I'm back on land to explain to people how beautiful these creatures are and how endangered too. Small impact no doubt but better to light a candle than curse the dark. As my old man always says....

J

Just another observation and one of the main reasons why I question the rational of blindly believing since nothing has happened, nothing will happen on these dives.

I've seen a few 'wild' sharks over the years here and there, beyond the typical sleepy nurse shark. By wild I mean sharks beyond those that are called to dinner such as at Stuart Coves, but sharks that you happen upon in diving.

The one common factor in every one of these sightings is everyone of them has been at a great distance. I can't think of any shark (beyond a nurse shark) or a 'tame' shark from a feeding dive, that I have witnessed that didn't keep it's distance. Most of these sightings involve seeing one so far away you wish you were closer.

Now, in researching doing this bull shark dive, one of the disturbing things that I found instantly different was how suprisingly close these bull sharks are to the divers. Unless all these videos were made with telephoto lenses, the relative closeness that these sharks are coming to divers to me was shocking enough for me to begin asking questions of what is the plan here if these sharks suddenly change demenor? These sharks are not on the fringes of your sight distance, but instead are just a few seconds or a split second from closing the distance with you.

Has anybody else noticed this in the videos or thought about that? I've never seen 'wild' sharks uninfluenced by getting used to being fed act like this with humans.

An couple of examples:

YouTube - Awesome Bull Shark Dive Playa Del Carmen, 1/29/09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMPiZPFjDc8&feature=related

As a child who grew up with polio, I have always had a tremendous love for the ocean. Because as a child the oceans inhabitants never made fun of the way I walked. So you can see maybe now why I have spent my entire life in the sea. If you have read my profile you notice how I comment on, that I am a diver of a differant level. This was not meant to show conciet, but rather that I consider diving to be religious....atleast for me.

It would be a natural progression for me to be with the sharks. I just want to make sure it's the right thing to do. But as you have, I have spent countless hours in rooms with lawyers, so technicually I should be well prepared.

Just another observation and one of the main reasons why I question the rational of blindly believing since nothing has happened, nothing will happen on these dives.

I've seen a few 'wild' sharks over the years here and there, beyond the typical sleepy nurse shark. By wild I mean sharks beyond those that are called to dinner such as at Stuart Coves, but sharks that you happen upon in diving.

The one common factor in every one of these sightings is everyone of them has been at a great distance. I can't think of any shark (beyond a nurse shark) or a 'tame' shark from a feeding dive, that I have witnessed that didn't keep it's distance. Most of these sightings involve seeing one so far away you wish you were closer.

Now, in researching doing this bull shark dive, one of the disturbing things that I found instantly different was how suprisingly close these bull sharks are to the divers. Unless all these videos were made with telephoto lenses, the relative closeness that these sharks are coming to divers to me was shocking enough for me to begin asking questions of what is the plan here if these sharks suddenly change demenor? These sharks are not on the fringes of your sight distance, but instead are just a few seconds or a split second from closing the distance with you.

Has anybody else noticed this in the videos or thought about that? I've never seen 'wild' sharks uninfluenced by getting used to being fed act like this with humans.

An couple of examples:

YouTube - 2009 Playa Del Carmen Shark Dive

I need to re-state my amateur status about sharks. I am zero authority on them save for my experience over the last couple of years.

We've had lots of sharks come right up close and personal. Seems to depend more on the species. Oceanics come extremely close and can do the twitchy thing right at the end, circle you, do the same again, and sometimes bump you. Silkies seem pretty inquisitive too. For sure, they're checking you out to see if you're food. The answer tho, unless you spaz out, is no. Other sharks I've dived with mostly keep their distance. I haven't dived with Bulls or Tigers (tho the latter have been in the area) so can't comment on those.

Main thing tho is that you are extremely unlikely to have a bad experience with a shark. Just watch marvel and enjoy.

J

Also on that trip to Saba, the dm said to look off in the distance and you would see sharks. Except for the hammerhead, I did not see any. But my wife said see saw two way off in the distance. Now I believe at that distance affords one the time to devise a plan of sorts. My original question has and will always be what happens when that shark is right up on top of you? I am on page one with what evrybody has said up until now. So right now I agree with mr. mfinley919.

As a child who grew up with polio, I have always had a tremendous love for the ocean. Because as a child the oceans inhabitants never made fun of the way I walked. So you can see maybe now why I have spent my entire life in the sea. If you have read my profile you notice how I comment on, that I am a diver of a differant level. This was not meant to show conciet, but rather that I consider diving to be religious....atleast for me.

It would be a natural progression for me to be with the sharks. I just want to make sure it's the right thing to do. But as you have, I have spent countless hours in rooms with lawyers, so technicually I should be well prepared.

Honestly there's nothing else to be said than Go for it!!!!

I haven't looked at your profile and did wonder about your statement but it sounds like the ocean is a world that you love so I say embrace it as much as you can. Sharks are part of that and they really are not a significant concern as long as you're not an idiot. Go for it. Seek them out. You will LOVE it!!!!

If you want any tips or thoughts on where to go or what to do I am happy to share my limited experience with you - PM me.

J

Well......to be honest....my wife and I love going to Cozumel. That trip to Saba was a once in a life time treat. I looked around and said to her, the worlds gone stupid, so we better do something worth while. Cozumel is more to our pallet. So, if things are alright we would like to go to Cozumel again next year. Now don't get me wrong, I believe there are some good divers in mexico, and I really enjoy diving with them, because to be honest as a working man I can relate to them. There's no bars on this collar. That being said....somtimes thier interprtaion of safety leaves alot to be desired. And I believe in this situation there is no room for error. So hopefully if the world doesn't get any stupider, we will be going next year.

That has always been a sticking point with me. Hit a ball with a club or a bat. Pass it to a reciever or throw it threw a hoop, hit it with a racket, roll it down a lane and hit some pins, and you're a heroe. Go dive the Andrea Doria, and unless you drown, nobody will ever hear of you. Go dive with the sharks, unless you get bitten, nobody will ever hear about you. It would be nice if just for once, our hobby, our sport, our provocation, or in my case my life, got some unprovoced regognition. The amount of money we spend as divers, and the list of accomplishments we have achieved, that go totally unoticed. I can pick up any local newspaper and get amatuer standings as well as on any local tv station. Believe me I do not seek out media attention, nor do I dive for that reason. But if I'm constantly be exposed to this junk, then it is about time the diver got his due.

An couple of examples:

YouTube - 2009 Playa Del Carmen Shark Dive

If those vids are representative of the typical dive with bulls in Playa then I'll pass. Looks totally crazy to me. Who was that in the 2nd one flailing about just asking to get bitten? I can't control what some other idiot does that could set the sharks off and I sure can't control a bull. Nope, not for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom