Diving with a Dry Suit but with no training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joyfulsun:
Thanks for the advice guys but if there is no chance to practice in a dry suit before the dive, can you offer any important 1st timer dry suit tips (aside from prayers) before jumping into the Silfra fissure.

If you can't prepare, don't do it.

Pete

joyfulsun:
Thanks for the advice guys but if there is no chance to practice in a dry suit before the dive, can you offer any important 1st timer dry suit tips (aside from prayers) before jumping into the Silfra fissure.

DON'T DO IT! You may be fine, but you may not be. My first time I had a lot of problems -- namely weighting and venting. Had I gone deep on my first dive, I might've had some real problems. Once I figured everything out though, all was fine.

It's not difficult, but you should practice for a little bit with someone who's experienced before you do a regular dive. Suits are different, and some have their own unique difficulties. You don't want to run into your difficulty upon ascent!

Do a shallow (20') first dive, or at LEAST plan on spending 15-20 minutes in the shallows on your first dive. Practice venting the suit, and see if air in your boots is a problem -- and if so, have someone show you how to save yourself from a feet first ascent. Once you master that, you're good to go.

- ChillyWaters

spectrum:
If you can't prepare, don't do it.

Pete

Exactly what I was thinking. I just did my first two ocean dives in my drysuit this weekend, and while I didn't have any major problems they weren't challending dives. What was a minor challenge at 20' could have been a very ugly situation in deep water or an environment I was totally unfamiliar with. This sounds like an accident waiting to happen, to me.

-John

From your profile looks like you've done strictly warm water.

I used to dive cold water, and I have a fair amount of experience. I haven't dove a drysuit. I know I wouldn't do this dive without practice first.

It's not THAT big of a deal. Get your weighting close, preferably in a pool with the underwear and gear that you'll be diving with, then buddy up with an instructor/DM/experienced diver for your first dive. Only add air to eliminate the squeeze, regardless of what they say. Use your BC for bouyancy adjustments. Set the exhaust valve on the drysuit to wide open or 2 or 3 clicks closed. Remember to raise your arm to vent. You'll get the hang of it all quickly.

If you get to use the pool, practice inverting and getting back to a feet down position (roll up like a ball). The hardest part is managing the big air bubble in the suit and not letting it go to your feet, as it won't vent when inverted, but after a couple of dives you'll get used to it.

If you can't use a pool, stay shallow until you know what you're doing if you get inverted. If you must go this route, you'd want a drysuit experienced buddy or instructor to help you.

And 10% of your body weight + 5 lbs gets most people close.

joyfulsun:

Ignore these weenies and go dive!! Leave the dump wide open and put only enough air in to take the squeeze off. It's not any harder than a 7mm wet suit, it might be easier. Watch for air in your feet and if your feet get light, there just tuck and roll.
This collection of dive poofers would have you believe you need to sacrifice a goat or something.

CIBDiving:
Ignore these weenies and go dive!! Leave the dump wide open and put only enough air in to take the squeeze off. It's not any harder than a 7mm wet suit, it might be easier. Watch for air in your feet and if your feet get light, there just tuck and roll.
This collection of dive poofers would have you believe you need to sacrifice a goat or something.

It isn't hard, but there are a few basic things that must be learned. I say 15-20 minutes in shallow water to figure it out, with an experienced drysuit diver.

Some suits are harder to vent than others... it would SUCK to learn this when coming up from depth and have a few problems with venting. Again, not rocket science, but you should practice this in shallows before going deeper.

Ditto on the floaty feet situation.

Not rocket science, but they should definitely practice in shallow water before going deeper.

Let's advocate preventing accidents before they happen. Sure, 19 out of 20 divers may be fine without any/little instruction, but I'd sure hate to be that other diver.

- ChillyWaters

I had enough problems learning to manage my dry suit that I would be very reluctant to tell somebody who has only been in warm water to go somewhere where the water is very cold (read heavy hood, heavy gloves, heavy undergarments, lots of weight) and visibility may be marginal and just jump in and dive. It might go okay, and it definitely might not. I don't know the details of the contemplated dive, but if it's at all deep, I'd be quite worried that a new drysuit diver would be unable to hold any stops on ascent, particularly the important shallow ones.

I've seen a number of very competent wetsuit divers transition to a dry suit, and without exception, they've all taken a BIG hit in their buoyancy control for at least a few dives.

Don't do it without some practise and coaching from an expierenced dry suit diver.
On my first dive in a dry suit I ended up feet up twice full of air no vent in my ankles. I fought the extra air so hard I used up my tank very quickly and ended up exausted, stranded on the beach. Two dives and some coaching and I was OK, it's not difficult but you need to be aware of what is happening.
If you must go and cannot get any practise beforehand dive in a wet suit. A 7mm with a 3mm shorty, integrated hood and good boots and gloves. Make sure everything is a really tight fit.
A dry suit can be dangerous in the wrong situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom