Diving with a Dry Suit but with no training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dherbman:
What's the matter, pull a muscle back kicking in splits? You seem more bitter than usual.
Actually, I agree with him for the most part. But I think a shallow check out dive before going deep would be prudent. But, he does have a "flair" on posting. :wink:

I don't disagree, either. I didn't take a class and think the better approach is to dive with someone that's been in a DS for some time and is comfortable with it. They can give some pointers and get you up to speed as easily as a DS class.

CIBDiving:
Oh OK! You want your place under the bridge back??
Naw...You are way more colorful then I could ever be.

dherbman:
I didn't take a class and think the better approach is to dive with someone that's been in a DS for some time and is comfortable with it. They can give some pointers and get you up to speed as easily as a DS class.
Thats what I did with my brother. Worked great, but no darn C-Card to carry in the wallet :wink:

CIBDiving:
You bet. I'm sick and tried of all you weenies that can't wipe your behind without a Class. Since I have no vested interest in the dive industry, I'd just as soon see all you who can't, DON"T. now FOAD

LOL. True. Somebody had to do it first without a class. People, it isn't that difficult. In England most of the OW divers don't even use wetsuits-they go right to a drysuit. If a total noob can do it on his checkout dives, someone with a few hundred dives shouldn't have any trouble at all.

dannobee:
LOL. True. Somebody had to do it first without a class. People, it isn't that difficult. In England most of the OW divers don't even use wetsuits-they go right to a drysuit. If a total noob can do it on his checkout dives, someone with a few hundred dives shouldn't have any trouble at all.

I did OW cert in the UK when I lived there.............when we did the OW dives, they gave me a drysuit and said: ' Oi, ere, put this on and we'll see you at the dock'. Yes I had floaty feet, yes I did bob upside down at the surface in 4 degrees (celcius), green, low viz water. But guess what.... you manage, you try to solve the problem. The only thing I would say is to have someone there that can help if they need to..

Wow, what a thread.

As others said a dry suit isn't hard and I think it's a whole lot easier than a heavy wet suit especially for deep dives. There are some things you need to know and a few things that you need to be able to do.

It is a new piece of equipment for you and I think you should make certain you're comfortable with it before doing any challenging dives. That's just common sense, I think.

If you don't have any cold water experience that alone will probably be quit an education for you.

The dive op may have all of this covered and then again maybe they just don't mind losing a diver here and there. Either way, you are resposible for your own safety.

Back
Top Bottom