Diving with a Dry Suit but with no training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey:
Almost every single drysuit diver I've ever met has had at least one incident where they did a very rapid uncontrollable ascent and found themselves on the surface.

Terry

Terry, you need to get out and meet more divers. I know scores of dry suit divers who have never shot to the surface.

MikeFerrara:
Terry, you need to get out and meet more divers. I know scores of dry suit divers who have never shot to the surface.

You've got me there. I probably only know one score of divers.

Terry

joyfulsun:
...if there is no chance to practice in a dry suit before the dive, can you offer any important 1st timer dry suit tips...

Sure - that's easy...

Let any potential buddy know that you are not properly trained for the equipment that you'll be using on the dive. This way...

A - They can make an informed decision to not dive with you, and

B - If they see a black "Michelin Tire Man" heading for the surface, feet-first, they'll know who it is

I'm sure you're a great guy, but I wouldn't dive with you in this situation.

Thank you everyone for all the tips and advice - both encouraging and discouraging. My husband and I have decided to give it a go! We were quite reassured by the Dive Instructor who will be with us during the dive that they've brought down divers with less dive experience than us and zero dry suit experience ...and they all managed quite well. (Also quite reassuring that their dry suits aren't the 'super-baggy' looking ones but more form fitting pretty much like wetsuits..I think they're Jetsuit TNG Technicas). And Silfra the dive spot is like one big swimming pool .. no currents with 150 meter visibility, and we will limit ourselves to baby dive depths of just 10 to 20 meters tops. And of course, if at the beginning of the dive, we're really not comfortable with it, then we'll just call the dive off. Many thanks again!

joyfulsun:
Thank you everyone for all the tips and advice - both encouraging and discouraging. My husband and I have decided to give it a go! We were quite reassured by the Dive Instructor who will be with us during the dive that they've brought down divers with less dive experience than us and zero dry suit experience ...and they all managed quite well. (Also quite reassuring that their dry suits aren't the 'super-baggy' looking ones but more form fitting pretty much like wetsuits..I think they're Jetsuit TNG Technicas). And Silfra the dive spot is like one big swimming pool .. no currents with 150 meter visibility, and we will limit ourselves to baby dive depths of just 10 to 20 meters tops. And of course, if at the beginning of the dive, we're really not comfortable with it, then we'll just call the dive off. Many thanks again!

If you're going down with a dive instructor, and are doing "baby depths" at the start, I really don't see it being much of a problem.

Enjoy.

- ChillyWaters

What type of reg are you diving??? If it is not rated for ice, you will have the potential failure that can result in your runaway ascent. If you go into a free flow, you will be busy trying to breath. With that as your primary concern the suit will be forgoten. As you ascend the suit will rapidly become positively bouyant and then you'll be in a world of s_it. Use your regs if rated, or i'm sure the dive op will have one for you.

I saw a quarry diver that lost a fin. When he retrieved it and finally got it back on he was at 140 ft. He freaked and tried to get back to his target depth of 120. He went up to fast and his suit took over. When he hit the surface he looked like a sub surfacing. This guy was lucky several trained divers were on site, cause they hit the water and got him out. After receiving CPR and a nice trip to the deco chamber he was ok.

The moral of this post.... you better be prepared to manage what ever emergency you have. A well prepared diver and a good dive op will be able to address any issue you have. Just please make sure you have your bases covered. It's the small things that can get you killed. Enjoy your dive and prepare as much in advance. If you feel unprepared enjoy the surface or stay shallow.

I sure hope the neck seal isn't too tight for your neck or you're going to have problems. Bring some scissors incase you need to cut it. I won't tell on you.

Back
Top Bottom