Diving with a Beard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never did anything special when I wore a beard, aside from frequently using FFMs, which didn't leak. Minor leaks from regular masks didn't bother me too much.

A beard-o that we once worked with swore by the use of "pharmaceutical-grade" lanolin, meant for nursing mothers. We never let him forget about his poor chaffed nipples.

Trim things; grease yourself up; do whatever you please -- just as long as it doesn't wind up becoming a John Waters tribute; or, sadly, the appearance that you completely snotted yourself . . .

There are some community standards to consider . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 4.44.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 4.44.41 PM.png
    710.7 KB · Views: 34
Full face of hair and nerved had a issue…

I just started using silicone grease on my mustache. I had not thought of that, but that does make perfect sense. Like dissolves like, and the silicone grease will likely break the skirt down over time. I will be giving lanolin or beeswax a try instead, thanks!
I tried beeswax and it was quite hard when diving the colder months. If I leave the lanolin outside I can usually stuff it under my half-off wetsuit or in a pocket if I haven’t changed out yet for a few minutes to get it soft enough to squirt out.

Why bother with all that extra effort. Full beard and stache. I don't trim or shave my face and have minimal leaks unless I dislodge my mask underwater. The small seepage I get is dealt with by an occasional exhale through my nose instead of the reg. No big breaths or breaths aimed at clearing. I only clear it once the swishing hits my eye. Mask stays fog free this way too.

I've had good experiences with beeswax and a well fitting mask with a skirt that ends just above my 'stache. There will be a little water seeping in occasionally, nothing that can't be dealt with a little puff of air

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom