Diving West Palm Beach, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What causes someone to make their first post? Usually it's something really good or really bad in their eyes. Why does this surprise you? Cut the new guy some slack and try not to be so cynical!

That being said, it's obvious this dive charter has some real fans here! I think that is great and hope that Randy will stick around and even post some!

Wow, I have never been on that boat, but I am familiar with charter boats in the area. Most all the charter boats will NEVER allow spearfishing with non-spearfishing customers. It is disappointing to me because, if the spearfisherman are really good and exceedingly courteous then the conflicts can be kept to a minimum. However, I can certainly understand why the two groups don't mix well on a charter. I would love to be able to call up the charter of my choice and say.. "I'm spearing today, where are you diving?"

Some people will freek when a guy drags a big flopping fish to the deck and slices the gut cavity open spilling blood, and feces all over and then reaches in and rips out the internal organs and thows them in the water. Many people are ignorant of spearguns and they make then very nervous. Novice spearfisherman make ME very nervous. There are many other simple reasons why spearing and non-spearing groups may not mix well. I have no problem with a charter that does so, but the customers must ABSOLUTELY BE TOLD THAT SPEARFISHING IS ALLOWED ON THE BOAT before the reservation is accepted. That does not seem to have occured here.

The other comments about "we were told we would be doing shallow reefs".. well what does that mean? Certainly there should have been a more precise description of the potential depths and clarification of the term "shallow".

Also, I used to work as a divemaster. You can not be functioning as a responsible divemaster and be spearing fish. Maybe you can grab a few bugs here and there, but spearfishing and leading a drift dive for some tourist, quarry divers that are clueless about the environment is not likely to have a good outcome.

I appreciate the possitive messages that I have recieved!! I am glad that some people understand that my purpose was not to destroy anyone's "livelyhood" but rather to get my experience with this charter and shop out there for those people that could benefit from it!!

I appreciate the possitive messages that I have recieved!! I am glad that some people understand that my purpose was not to destroy anyone's "livelyhood" but rather to get my experience with this charter and shop out there for those people that could benefit from it!!
Ummm, I was staying out of all of this, right up to this post. I want to show you this before everyone comes down on you for the above statement (I'm sure it's coming)

From your original post:
So take my warning...DO NOT DIVE WITH SCUBA EXPRESS...PERIOD!!

When they come after you for the above statement, you will at least understand why... good luck...

What I meant in saying that, to make it more clear, was that if you are not a spearfisher or VERY advanced diver that this is NOT the charter for you and that you shouldn't dive with them...PERIOD! I am sorry that I wasn't more clear before.

What I meant in saying that, to make it more clear, was that if you are not a spearfisher or VERY advanced diver that this is NOT the charter for you and that you shouldn't dive with them...PERIOD! I am sorry that I wasn't more clear before.
Thanks. I used to be a spearfisher, but changed to photographer... I'll make my decisions on my own...

I understood what you were saying, just wish you had phrased it differently. I had issues with the same guy a few years ago when he was at Jupiter Dive Center. As a result of those problems, I simply took my money and students elsewhere... :palmtree: Bob

Last edited:
When you don't know the area very well, it's hard to determine what kinds of dives the different charters do. I got very spoiled with Jupiter Dive Center (which is under new ownership and management) when I got into drift diving back in Oct. I didn't know the reefs and they always have a dive master to follow if you wish, or the boat will pick you up wherever you emerge if you decide to go off on your own. The first time I went out on a different charter that didn't offer a dive master I was very daunted when I had to do my own dive and everyone (mostly spearfishers) took off in all different directions. I didn't know the reef, the viz was poor, and I got lost. I emerged early, blew up my safety sausage and waited for the boat. After 10 minutes or so, it started coming towards me in the distance, stopped and picked up several groups, then turned around and went in the other direction. A fishing boat came by soon after and asked if I needed help. They radioed the captain and they came back for me. (The charter will remain nameless as it serves no purpose in naming it).

Therefore, I stick with Jupiter Dive Center, Little Deeper, and Pura Vida unless I'm with dive buddies who stick with their buddy, since I am directionally challenged. I'm more familiar with the reef system now due to more experience, but I like knowing that the boat will be there when I come up or soon after. But that's MY type of dive preference. I know others that prefer charters like Emerald because they want to do their own thing, and there's nothing wrong with it. It's great that they have a charter they feel comfortable with.......it's just not for everyone. When you learn the hard way that the charter you're on isn't what you expected, like Endless Diver did, I can see (and empathize) why he had the reaction he did. That is not a put down for Randy, however, as we need his type of charter for the types of divers he caters to. That is his style and preference, and there is nothing wrong with it. I'm thankful we have such a diversity of charters in this area to keep all types of divers happy.

When you don't know the area very well, it's hard to determine what kinds of dives the different charters do. I got very spoiled with Jupiter Dive Center (which is under new ownership and management) when I got into drift diving back in Oct. I didn't know the reefs and they always have a dive master to follow if you wish, or the boat will pick you up wherever you emerge if you decide to go off on your own. The first time I went out on a different charter that didn't offer a dive master I was very daunted when I had to do my own dive and everyone (mostly spearfishers) took off in all different directions. I didn't know the reef, the viz was poor, and I got lost. I emerged early, blew up my safety sausage and waited for the boat. After 10 minutes or so, it started coming towards me in the distance, stopped and picked up several groups, then turned around and went in the other direction. A fishing boat came by soon after and asked if I needed help. They radioed the captain and they came back for me. (The charter will remain nameless as it serves no purpose in naming it).

Therefore, I stick with Jupiter Dive Center, Little Deeper, and Pura Vida unless I'm with dive buddies who stick with their buddy, since I am directionally challenged. I'm more familiar with the reef system now due to more experience, but I like knowing that the boat will be there when I come up or soon after. But that's MY type of dive preference. I know others that prefer charters like Emerald because they want to do their own thing, and there's nothing wrong with it. It's great that they have a charter they feel comfortable with.......it's just not for everyone. When you learn the hard way that the charter you're on isn't what you expected, like Endless Diver did, I can see (and empathize) why he had the reaction he did. That is not a put down for Randy, however, as we need his type of charter for the types of divers he caters to. That is his style and preference, and there is nothing wrong with it. I'm thankful we have such a diversity of charters in this area to keep all types of divers happy.

After learning that JDC had new owners and management, I tried them out again last month and things have changed for the better. The employees were friendly and courteous, the shop was clean and the boat crew was great. Whatever the new owners are doing is working, I'll be using them in the future. :palmtree: Bob

To paraphrase Walter-- "It is not the agency it is the Instructor, It is not the Charter it is the Captain."

Emerald Charters are getting the complaints that Jupter DIve Charters once got when Randy was the Captain there. Know who is the captain when you get on the boat. This board is an excellent referral source of Who NOT to dive with.

It is easy to type in the name and do a search.. I for one am never diving ScubaTyme and never heard of them prior to this board.

Captain Gary in Key West rubbed me the wrong way the first time I dove him but realized it was because he was just being overly cautious with a bunch of rowdy divers he has never seen in the water before. I learned to like the guy after my butt chewing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom