Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Momentum (Parent Company is San Moritz) is my dive and field watch. It replaced my Citizen EcoDrive which I lost favor with because of proprietary bands and I really don't like the 3:00 crown location.

Not really into watch sized dive computers. I have a Deep6 Excursion as a backup but it is one or two Perdix (or a Petrel1) for diving if more than basic (such as deco) dives.

I realize it wouldn't be. Did you read the rest of my post? It was only a couple more sentences.

My first sentence was more of an "If only ...".
"I don't suppose..." did not give me confidence that you knew the answer. The original transmitter was not Oceanic/Huish, it was Pelagic Pressure Systems, part of the American Underwater Products family. It is and has been used by many brands, including Shearwater, but not Garmin.

I love that fact that you reference the Seiko SKX. I have a Seiko SKX011, which is the orange-face version of the standard SKX007. Yeah, the design of the movement is a few decades old, but the thing just takes a beating. Perfect for a nice looking but inexpensive automatic tool watch. The only thing I don't like about it is the 22mm lug width. I prefer NATO/Zulu straps, and I find that the lug width is a bit uncomfortable after a while. I usually wear a Seiko Prospex Solar chronograph diver, which has a 20mm lug width and looks awesome with a black and grey striped Zulu strap.

I don't use a watch for diving; I use my Teric instead. But I do feel a bit naked when I'm not diving if I don't have a watch on my wrist. For a few years I just used my cell phone to keep track of time, but having to pull it out of my pocket all the time got annoying. Then I started wearing watches again and have never looked back. I'll head out of the house without my cell phone all the time and not care. But if I don't have my watch on I'll immediately head back in and get it.
I wear an SKX007 everyday.. at work, on weekends, hiking, kayaking, MTB riding and on dives. It’s been very reliable apart from a needed service for cleaning and adjustment. For me the ultimate watch would be a Seiko SKX007 or SKX137, same case and faces with a solar movement. You’d rarely if ever have to open it up.

The Vostok Amphibia "Zizzou."

This arrived shortly before my birthday, this year, just before the Russian invasion of the Ukraine, I might add; and was actually sent from "Mother Russia," just short of the embargo. My smart-ass friends thought the "Zizzou" particularly appropriate, given my penchant for a few days of beard growth, at any given time, and a lifelong fondness for watch caps.

The "Амфибия" was strangely smaller than I had anticipated (at under 40 mm in diameter) though a bit more sophisticated than many other inexpensive watches on the market, in being self-winding. It keeps relatively good time, provided that it is constantly worn; though, setting the date was a bit of a joke that involves advancing the watch hands, for the calendar to spin. That took a little while.

The "crystal" is an odd, bulging acrylic bubble, set on a flat gasket, that is meant to compress with depth and tighten the seal; and from what I have heard, is effective, though it is only rated to 200 meters (which is just about the minimum depth rating to even be considered a dive watch). Most of my watches over the years were rated to 500 or even a 1000 meters. I did go diving with it, just for kicks, the other day, to about 35 meters, and it is still functioning -- yea.

The bezel, too, is a bit of an afterthought and more of a decoration, since it doesn't even possess numbers or ratchet at all, and far too easily moves in either direction -- design fail, there, comrade. The original bracelet was a loud, jangly p.o.s. and was immediately replaced by a nato band (no irony there) that I had hanging around . . .

Attachments

• 1CA122A1-938A-46E4-8049-D77772931F3C.jpeg
    1CA122A1-938A-46E4-8049-D77772931F3C.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 9E55F687-8653-4106-98A8-5187F24C126A.jpeg
    9E55F687-8653-4106-98A8-5187F24C126A.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 51
I bought a watch a couple weeks ago for my trip to Maui. Wasn't sure if the place I was renting gear included a computer, and I knew I was just doing shallow dives so there was really no need for one. But, I at least wanted something to track my bottom time. IMO, if you want a dive watch (or just a nice looking watch) for next to nothing, look at the Casio MDV-106-1AV ("Duro"). I got the blue and for $60 from Amazon you can't go wrong.

I toyed with the idea of just getting a new battery for my old Citizen dive watch that I wore diving in the 90's, but that thing wasn't keeping great time by the end anyway. And the Duro is just pretty cool looking, I think.:cool:

Hello. I got infatuated with scuba diving a couple of months. Still fresh (60 dives, Master diver, Deep diving and Science of Diving certified,...). I am also a big fan of watches and collect them. I have never been interested in Rolex. Too bulky or over rated for me. I buy things that I like not because I can resell them.
Now, for me, there is no real added value in having a diving watch compared to a diving computer. Even less when you wear two diving computers. Am I wrong? Then, the real question of this thread: is it worth buying a Rolex Submariner, the self called ultimate diver watch?
I use this when diving as a back up! Promaster Aqualand Black Dial Polyurethane Strap BJ2169-08E | CITIZEN

I love my old school made in Japan, Seiko 007 and for dressing up my Seiko "turtle" with the ocean wave face.

View attachment 715179View attachment 715180
I love the Seiko turtles! I have a PADI Pepsi turtle and a black dial one. I put the Pepsi on a beads-of-rice bracelet and keep the black one on the stock Seiko silicone strap. These days, I feel like the turtles have become the new SKX line. It's getting hard to find an SKX for under $450, which is crazy for a non-winding, non-hacking movement. Lot of value in the turtle models, if you like the retro case style. I love cushion cases, and my next watch is going to be a Doxa Sub300T. That's when I can convince my wife that I need yet another watch, seeing as I just bought a Mido Ocean Star Tribute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom