Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw one for sale online recently and I'm considering of getting one. Besides of showing the current and max depth, I wonder if it will also display the average depth during the dive? I'm actually consider to use it as a bottom timer.

Thanks,
CW.
It does not display Average Depth during the dive, but it does display it in Log Mode after the dive has been completed.

I have a Teric, and I prefer it. It's also my backup to my Perdix. I work for myself, and the older I get the less likely I am to wear a watch or even carry a cell phone.

I have a Citizen Hyper Aqualand that I bought in 1995. Still use it on every dive. I have an old windowsXP computer and printer in my garage that I keep specifically to run the software for it and print out the log sheets.

I don’t begrudge a guy who wants to wear his Rolex on a dive. If he’s overly showy about it then he has other problems than what watch he’s wearing on the dive.

I have too many other things I want to spend my limited fun money on so it’s a Citizen Promaster Aqualand with depth meter for me. Pairs nicely with a wrist slate as my back up to my Perdix on deco dives. Bezel is useful for tracking trigger time on a DPV and also for air breaks. Also works great as a standalone on recreational dives if I don’t care to log the dive in my cloud.

upload_2021-7-14_20-3-39.png

I will first say, I am absolutely a watch guy.
However, there are certain situations where the average automatic watch does have advantages over the average quartz. I am a bit of a mountaineer by trade; I am at a mountain regiment but it's not my specialty and I avoid them whenever I can. In the extreme temperatures we can be subjected to, when a watch is worn outside the clothing, most quartz watches will die within minutes. Low negative degrees and batteries do not mix. In these situations your cheap, price not quality, quartzes are outperformed by mid level automatics or high level quartzes. This doesn't translate into recreational diving but it could into certain technical diving.
Aside from that, I think you're unfit to judge someone for buying an expensive mechanical watch unless you live in the smallest apartment you can, eat just the food you need for nutrition, drive the cheapest reliable hybrid car and...don't dive unless it's your job. Anything more than that is a luxury. How luxurious and how great are the returns? That's up to you.
I think tool dive watches certainly have a place as backups. When a watch was the only way to track a dive, a Rolex milsub cost 1500-2000 USD, adjusted for inflation. A quality tool dive watch today, made to comparable standards, can certainly be had for that.

Never seen an expensive "look at my expensive so-called dive watch" with a useable bungee strap.

They've little or no diving utility; they're just for watch enthusiasts. And for that, they're great.

Now, about those slide rules replacing those nasty calculator things, or those black plastic discs you drag a rock over to get music out of...

The ultimate dive watch is hardly a Rolex. A Rolex is not even the most expensive dive watch. If I were to spend that sort of money for a watch I might go Omega. THE dive watch is the Seiko SKX007. The watch that I have that gets the most attention and even a few random offers to purchase off my wrist is my Citizen Titanium EcoZilla, NLA. My favorite automatics, Seiko products aside, are my Doxa Sub Shark Hunter and my Marathon SAR.

Computers are fine but I still wear a watch. I do not have to interpret a set of numbers, I can just look at the hands and the pip on the bezel to see where I am in my dive, or flying approach or waypoint, or checkpoint in a rally.

I do not like these gigantic, pretentious fashion watches, no matter who made them. Once a watch gets much beyond 42mm +/- case width it no longer functionally augments and compliments my life but gets in the way of it instead.

James

The ultimate dive watch is hardly a Rolex. A Rolex is not even the most expensive dive watch. If I were to spend that sort of money for a watch I might go Omega. THE dive watch is the Seiko SKX007. The watch that I have that gets the most attention and even a few random offers to purchase off my wrist is my Citizen Titanium EcoZilla, NLA. My favorite automatics, Seiko products aside, are my Doxa Sub Shark Hunter and my Marathon SAR.

Computers are fine but I still wear a watch. I do not have to interpret a set of numbers, I can just look at the hands and the pip on the bezel to see where I am in my dive, or flying approach or waypoint, or checkpoint in a rally.

I do not like these gigantic, pretentious fashion watches, no matter who made them. Once a watch gets much beyond 42mm +/- case width it no longer functionally augments and compliments my life but gets in the way of it instead.

James
I love that fact that you reference the Seiko SKX. I have a Seiko SKX011, which is the orange-face version of the standard SKX007. Yeah, the design of the movement is a few decades old, but the thing just takes a beating. Perfect for a nice looking but inexpensive automatic tool watch. The only thing I don't like about it is the 22mm lug width. I prefer NATO/Zulu straps, and I find that the lug width is a bit uncomfortable after a while. I usually wear a Seiko Prospex Solar chronograph diver, which has a 20mm lug width and looks awesome with a black and grey striped Zulu strap.

I don't use a watch for diving; I use my Teric instead. But I do feel a bit naked when I'm not diving if I don't have a watch on my wrist. For a few years I just used my cell phone to keep track of time, but having to pull it out of my pocket all the time got annoying. Then I started wearing watches again and have never looked back. I'll head out of the house without my cell phone all the time and not care. But if I don't have my watch on I'll immediately head back in and get it.

James

I see you wearing this with matching hair color:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082XX7KQ4/ref=twister_B094YY8X1Q?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom