Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an OMEGA 300 Diver Seamaster. Love the way it looks, but would never take it diving. I am into watches and my next will be the Seamaster Planet Ocean Deep Black and then a Rolex Seadweller Deep Sea James Cameron model. They are not really for telling time or have much to do with diving but are pieces of jewelry.

I'm an X'er. And i'm not wrong.

It's the wrong tool for the job.

Someone diving with a sub $1000 watch dumb. Someone diving with a Rolex Sub is just being a chad. Screams of "hey look at me, I'll dive with an $8000 watch when there are better options but I don't care.... i have money to burn".
Is that not what diving is for the most part? 90% of divers do it for fun. And guess what if they did not have the money to burn they would not be doing it. You are acting like diving is cheap…

I bought a watch a couple weeks ago for my trip to Maui. Wasn't sure if the place I was renting gear included a computer, and I knew I was just doing shallow dives so there was really no need for one. But, I at least wanted something to track my bottom time. IMO, if you want a dive watch (or just a nice looking watch) for next to nothing, look at the Casio MDV-106-1AV ("Duro"). I got the blue and for $60 from Amazon you can't go wrong.

I toyed with the idea of just getting a new battery for my old Citizen dive watch that I wore diving in the 90's, but that thing wasn't keeping great time by the end anyway. And the Duro is just pretty cool looking, I think.:cool:

It's the perfect example of a "tool watch" - I've got one of the older ones

PXL_20210408_145012348.jpeg

I don't dive it because I've got other, better (and probably too many?) dive watches, but I keep it around as a loaner, or just if I'm feeling "classic" :) I bet the design hasn't changed much since the first version - it's got a very 70's feel.

If I was on a trip and needed a replacement watch fast? - absolutely pick up one from Amazon or a local surf shop.

Bill Gates also rocks it!
It's the perfect example of a "tool watch" - I've got one of the older ones

View attachment 715746

I don't dive it because I've got other, better (and probably too many?) dive watches, but I keep it around as a loaner, or just if I'm feeling "classic" :) I bet the design hasn't changed much since the first version - it's got a very 70's feel.

If I was on a trip and needed a replacement watch fast? - absolutely pick up one from Amazon or a local surf shop.

I've never had the inclination to buy a super expensive watch.... To be perfectly honest even if I had a billion dollars I'd never buy a 10K to 30K watch... But that's just me and it's none of my business if someone wants to buy a Rolex and dive with it...

I do actually have a Rolex in my safe that was my Father in Laws before he passed. It doesn't work, other than twice a day at 11:09, and I don't know if it's worth anything... My best guess is that it's from the late 30's.

rWjBt8E.jpg

I have just three watches for myself.....

1) A $20 Casio thats my working, digging, log splitting, fishing, shooting, hunting, Bonaire watch. It's been to 130 a few times and takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n.
2) A Citizen Eco Drive that I got as a present from my mom so I wear it whenever she's here or I'm there.
3) An I-Watch that has GPS function to tell me my yardage to the green.....along with everything else it does.

VZjauya.jpg

SKblKbV.jpg

xA0VzJY.jpg

I do actually have a Rolex in my safe that was my Father in Laws before he passed. It doesn't work, other than twice a day at 11:09, and I don't know if it's worth anything... My best guess is that it's from the late 30'
I would bet that it could be made to work if you found the right technician. You may have to work to find that technician, though. My brother-in-law has a watch (can't remember the brand, but it is a major name) that he had gotten from his father many decades ago and which had not worked for many years. He sent it to the company for repair, and they returned it saying it was not possible to repair it.

We have a good friend who owns a pawn shop. People come in all the time to sell old watches that don't run, and some of them are pretty valuable, even in that condition. Our friend buys the watches, opens them up, gets them running again, and sells them as working watches. We had my brother-in-law send him the broken watch, and it is now good as new--no charge.

The key is the ability to get parts, and the parent company is not going to make an effort if they are out. All it takes is someone who knows how to navigate the used parts market, and that is something a skilled pawnbroker knows how to do.

Now, for me, there is no real added value in having a diving watch compared to a diving computer. Even less when you wear two diving computers. Am I wrong? Then, the real question of this thread: is it worth buying a Rolex Submariner, the self called ultimate diver watch?

This watch has been around since 1954 so there must be a lot of "admirers/users".
Cost/worth is never a consideration.

I have a big old Seiko 6309-7049 that I wear just for fun these days. I tuned it so it gains only 2 to 3 seconds a day. A beautiful self-winding movement. The watch I wear when diving is newer, a battery watch with a dial that says 'Ocean Edge'. It matches an Ocean Edge stainless steel weight belt buckle and a OE knife I found in Jamaica. The movement is a basic cheap Seiko. I think I paid $12 for the watch about 40 years ago. It keeps perfect time and I've had it down over 100 fsw many many times. Never a single problem of any kind all these years. I replace the battery myself every couple of years, the case o rings as well. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Diving doesn't really have to be expensive unless you become a gear junkie. It's all about getting wet, not looking like a Christmas tree with all sorts of junk hanging off you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom