Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... The link pins I'm familiar with are not screws, they are simple push pins. ...

@agilis, attached are a couple of pics of the screws in my Steinhart's bracelet.

rx7diver

Steinhart_20220406b.jpegSteinhart_20220406a.jpeg

@agilis, attached are a couple of pics of the screws in my Steinhart's bracelet.

rx7diver

View attachment 716308

View attachment 716309View attachment 716308View attachment 716309
Never saw that before, but no surprise since I'm a bit of a cheapskate, regarding watches more as functional tools than as decorative objects or for conspicuous consumption purposes. I do like the idea of screws instead of push pins, though-anything to improve solidity and strength. I'd never pay more than $50 for a SS bracelet, though. Coating the pins with a locking substance or a thin layer of epoxy does the trick. I have two favorite watches, my big Seiko which was not that expensive when I bought it but which would cost about $800 to replace, and a Casio DW 1000, a $20 snorkeling watch from the late 70s which is small and sleek and absolutely accurate, giving all sorts of data and adjusting itself even for leap years. i took mine out of a drawer after about three years of being ignored. The time was off by almost 15 minutes but the day and date were correct.

I took my Blancpain Fifty Fathoms out on her maiden dives last week at various cenotes in Tulum.

I also dive with a Seiko Blumo, Squale 50 ATMOS, Seiko SKX 009, or a Mido Decompression timer.
LOVE the Fifty Fathoms! How do you like the Squale? I've nearly pulled the trigger on a 1521 Ocean several times, but for some reason I always hold off. Then some other watch catches my eye instead.

My Citizen Eco-Drive dive watch (with depth gauge) saved my dives last week on Blackbeard's. My Suunto D5 ran low on charge one dive and then locked up for 48 hours. With the SPG I always run I was able to continue diving with the watch as my timer and depth gauge. Had to dive tables so it was conservative to say the least but damn glad I had it.

... since I'm a bit of a cheapskate, regarding watches more as functional tools ...

Ha! So am/do I! Absolutely!! Buy once (cry once), and keep "forever"--being careful to take care of it (whatever "it" is), using it until it is used up. Which is why I still dive my Scubapro Mk 10 + Balanced Adjustable/G250/D400 regs which I purchased new in the late 1980's and early 1990's.

rx7diver

LOVE the Fifty Fathoms! How do you like the Squale? I've nearly pulled the trigger on a 1521 Ocean several times, but for some reason I always hold off. Then some other watch catches my eye instead.
Love the Squale. Great size with a modified ETA 2824-2 Elabore. Looks like the iconic 70s era skin divers plus they made cases from Blancpain back in the day. Excellent PQR.

A
And the 1521 Ocean on a mesh strap is an amazing combo. Get it!

I dive with my Pulsar Solar that my wife gave me 35 years ago. It's kind of a dive watch but all the outer case markings have since worn off. It's good to 100 meters. Never had to wind it or change batteries. It's gone through about 5 bands. It's the only watch I wear.

Hello. I got infatuated with scuba diving a couple of months. Still fresh (60 dives, Master diver, Deep diving and Science of Diving certified,...). I am also a big fan of watches and collect them. I have never been interested in Rolex. Too bulky or over rated for me. I buy things that I like not because I can resell them.
Now, for me, there is no real added value in having a diving watch compared to a diving computer. Even less when you wear two diving computers. Am I wrong? Then, the real question of this thread: is it worth buying a Rolex Submariner, the self called ultimate diver watch?
I like to dive with my Tudor Pelagos. Is my computer fails I can still time and save my dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom