Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nah, you are twisting it around, Go read what I wrote, not a single use of phrase "dc", "dive computer" nor "computer" until you bring this strange argument up. You will find the phrases "watch", "tool watch", "Descent".
I have full world topology map offline, tides, altimeter, barometer, weather, I can navigate, sail and do countless other adventure stuff with my watch and diving. I cannot think a better watch for an adventurer like him. Some argued that he would use whatever brand that would sponsor him, that, I agree, this is the reality of our times.

I don’t like to get orders from strangers, especially when they are shouting. Remember, you are responding to my comment where I did not address you, you do not get to tell me what I should be discussing.

Not sure what above means but function of Rolex or a gold chain necklace are roughly same. They are meant to project wealth, success, status and they are objects of financial value that can be exchanged to cash easily.

Submariner is not a dive watch, only, tiny percent of the people wearing it are divers and the most of the ones that are divers do not even dare to take it diving. People buy it because it is like money in the bank and that is not stylish but rather "cheap". This is unfortunately what it radiates to me. Besides, it is also most counterfeited watch, so, it is actually quite accessible. You are right about BP, it is much more beautiful than submariner but it is also huge and heavy for my wrists, I was very close to buying it despite it looked a little funny on my wrist. Anyway, bottom line is I got a Descent mk2i literally same week it was released, its a great dive watch/sportswatch/dc and whole this dive watch topic has come to a happy end for me.
This post is even more confusing than your previous ones...

I didn't brought the DC vs Dive Watch up, someone else did and you brought the Garmin Descent (DC) into the conversation stating some wet fantasy about Cousteau wearing it as well if he was alive / diving today... lot of BS to justify your own purchase decision.

Then you try to diminish Rolex stating that you and your colleagues are above the 'gold chain' wannabees that wear Submariners. Again, justifying your own purchase decisions by ignoring the fact that it is the most known and wanted watch in the world so crapping all over it is the next best thing...
Just so you know, you sound exactly as all the folks that cannot afford a Submariner.

"Orders from strangers"??? Who is giving you any orders. You are mixing DC with Dive Watched, Cousteau, Rolex, Garming, Gold Chains,...I just highlighted the fact that you are very confused and trying to confuse us as well lol. "Addressing you"? If you don't want to exchange comments with other members, perhaps try not commenting on an open dive forum???

Any luxury item projects wealth, success, status and they are objects of financial value that can be exchanged to cash easily. Your argumentation is weak.

The Submariner IS THE dive watch. People don't dive with it because it is expensive. 2 different things.

It is the watch EVERYBODY wants but only a few can afford so the counterfeit it a lot. The only 'Cheap' thing around the Submariner are your arguments... No, it is not 'quite accessible' if you buy the real thing AND even if you have the money, you cannot find it on retail UNLESS you buy more watches from that retailer. So for you, the Garmin is the only choice.

The Descent is a nice Dive Computer in the shape of an oversized watch, like my D5/9. They are not dive watches nor luxury items. They are just a great tool for diving. Normal folks won't wear it with a tuxedo like you do, that's no 'classy'.

A 'happy end' indeed is what you need in order to relax a little bit...

Sorry, but THIS is nonsense. I learned to dive before computers were the norm. If my computer fails, I’m diving the tables using my watch and SPG. if either of those fail, then the dive is over. If the computer fails after the time designated in the tables, then I make an immediate, but leisurely ascent, as I know my NDL will increase significantly as I ascend.
You cannot switch to your watch if your computer fails unless you are in a shallow dive and/or monitoring your DC every 30sec or so.

To put it in a realistic scenario, you are diving at 38m and you have a 6mn no DECO stop. You just spot a beautiful stingray at the bottom of the shipwreck that sits at 43m, you decide to go closer as it is only 5m and take a couple of quick photos adjusting your lights, then you check the back of your screen to be sure it is in focus and you check your DC again after - what you believe - is no more than 3-4 minutes and the screen is off...! Now what? Do you have 1mn NO DECO left? 2mn? Are you in DECO mode already? If yes, for how long?
All of the above not considering that IF your DC is Air Integrated then it is really over as your DECO stops would be calculated based on your air reserve to safely surface and consumption rates. There's no way you can do that with a watch only, at least safely.

Mind that you might be an exceptionally disciplined diver and be super strict so every time you look at your dive watch, you memorize the values and you look at it every 30sec, the rest of people won't do so.
A DC failure will mean to abort the dive unless their Dive Buddy has been close to the the whole time.

Nothing wrong with aborting a dive as well.

Holy crap fellas, and what if your second computer fails and the third, etc. I have been diving recreationally and professionally since 1970 and have not owned a computer until 7 years ago. Now I have a Zoop and a Garmin Descent Mark 2. How did I ever manage to live through 10,000+ hours of diving up to now. Well, there was this -
View attachment 727725
The Scubapro Bendomatic, 1970's state of the art. I used it on a few dives and never had a problem. I did hundreds of hours of Saturation Dives in 150 to 200 Meters in the 1970's and guess what? We had no computers, we had tables, charts, timers, calculators, and pneumo-fathometers. I did many, many surface decompression dives in up to 225 feet and used the same stuff.
If you can't figure out how to not get bent on sport diving trips without a computer then you should not be involved in the sport.
You are mixing things friend.

It is fine to use a dive watch IF you've done your homework with the Navy Dive Tables and stick to it.
Normally when wearing a DC you don't do that so switching mid-dive is very tricky.

Also, the average diver has no 10K hours diving AND the US Navy tables are NOT part of the Certification today nor shown anymore so your last argument is invalid as well.

This post is even more confusing than your previous ones...

I didn't brought the DC vs Dive Watch up, someone else did and you brought the Garmin Descent (DC) into the conversation stating some wet fantasy about Cousteau wearing it as well if he was alive / diving today... lot of BS to justify your own purchase decision.

Then you try to diminish Rolex stating that you and your colleagues are above the 'gold chain' wannabees that wear Submariners. Again, justifying your own purchase decisions by ignoring the fact that it is the most known and wanted watch in the world so crapping all over it is the next best thing...
Just so you know, you sound exactly as all the folks that cannot afford a Submariner.

"Orders from strangers"??? Who is giving you any orders. You are mixing DC with Dive Watched, Cousteau, Rolex, Garming, Gold Chains,...I just highlighted the fact that you are very confused and trying to confuse us as well lol. "Addressing you"? If you don't want to exchange comments with other members, perhaps try not commenting on an open dive forum???

Any luxury item projects wealth, success, status and they are objects of financial value that can be exchanged to cash easily. Your argumentation is weak.

The Submariner IS THE dive watch. People don't dive with it because it is expensive. 2 different things.

It is the watch EVERYBODY wants but only a few can afford so the counterfeit it a lot. The only 'Cheap' thing around the Submariner are your arguments... No, it is not 'quite accessible' if you buy the real thing AND even if you have the money, you cannot find it on retail UNLESS you buy more watches from that retailer. So for you, the Garmin is the only choice.

The Descent is a nice Dive Computer in the shape of an oversized watch, like my D5/9. They are not dive watches nor luxury items. They are just a great tool for diving. Normal folks won't wear it with a tuxedo like you do, that's no 'classy'.

A 'happy end' indeed is what you need in order to relax a little bit...
Submariner is a nice looking watch, it just represents something very vulgar nowadays something I prefer not to associate with and your message is attest to that.

Watching this thread disintegrate...can we please get back on topic? Good...lord...people.

" The real question of this thread: is it worth buying a Rolex Submariner, the self called ultimate diver watch?"

I say - yes! 100%. For many people that are aware of the Submariner it's more than capable as a dive watch. But - in today's world of scarce Submariners I wouldn't wear one diving though.

Too $$$ to replace. I can buy 14 $1000 dive computers for the cost of one grey market Submariner.

You cannot switch to your watch if your computer fails unless you are in a shallow dive and/or monitoring your DC every 30sec or so.

Nothing wrong with aborting a dive as well.
Firstly, I do check my DC frequently. Secondly, I am disciplined enough not to chase that stingray photo to a depth below whatever limit I’ve planned for the dive. I never said my watch was a substitute for my computer. I said it was a timer for a dive plan based on NDL tables and that it would be most useful if the DC failed early in the dive. A diver with no backup would have to abort immediately, but I could continue per my plan. If my computer takes me beyond that planned time and then failed, of course I’d have to abort the dive at that point. It’s not complicated.

To the experts advocating switching to dive tables mid-dive after a dive computer goes down, can you please reference and show any credible dive industry established and accepted protocols to use for this "switch" and how to do it? I am not talking about your hearsay, fairy tale, faceless/nameless/mythical all knowing "experienced" dive buddies, I am talking about science, peer-reviewed studies and established and accepted protocols. Does any mainstream diver training agency have these switch to table protocol and procedures documented and accepted in its training material for recreational diving at all (or even mention them)? What about dive computer manufacturers, do they have any recommendations on how to do it?

To the experts advocating switching to dive tables mid-dive after a dive computer goes down, can you please reference and show any credible dive industry established and accepted protocols to use for this "switch" and how to do it? I am not talking about your hearsay, fairy tale, faceless/nameless/mythical all knowing "experienced" dive buddies, I am talking about science, peer-reviewed studies and established and accepted protocols. Does any mainstream diver training agency have these switch to table protocol and procedures documented and accepted in its training material for recreational diving at all (or even mention them)? What about dive computer manufacturers, do they have any recommendations on how to do it?
There is no “switch.” You plan your dive. And you carry instruments that allow you to dive your plan. A dive computer is an instrument that allows you to safely extend your bottom time beyond what you can do with square profile tables. If you have to limit yourself to a square profile time, you’re spending less time underwater and taking on less of a nitrogen load. By the way, divers who put their backup DC in gauge mode are using a dive watch.

At the risk of becoming involved in a discussion that is devolving into pedantic squabbling - If I've planned a no-deco, 40 minute dive to a wreck 60 feet deep, and I know what time I started, what's the problem with using my watch as a back-up if my Peregrine goes down? Are there some "protocol and procedures" necessary to be able to read a watch and know what my bottom time is?

Submariner is a nice looking watch, it just represents something very vulgar nowadays something I prefer not to associate with and your message is attest to that.
What is normal for the Spyder is chaos for the Fly :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom