Diving Vacation Advice Needed; what would you do??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay I've had some extended family relocate to New Smyrna Beach [Daytona area] and I was thinking of planning a trip next year [I'm thinking next summer, more than likely] to do a little visiting [very little] but mostly diving :wink:

I understand the NE Florida diving is hit or miss and it's hard to get a charter to go way out to the best spots. But I have no preconceived notions and have carte blanche to do and go wherever I like.

So if YOU had a week off, a car, some money in your pocket [but aren't rich], all your dive gear [tanks if need be] and you started in New Smyrna and wanted to be back there in say 6-7 days, what would you do [except for cave/technical diving]??

I could have anything I needed for the trip/diving shipped to my uncles, also have contemplated driving there.

Would like a broad spectrum of dives, wrecks [non-penetration], reefs, springs, etc. Basically would like to see alot of cool stuff, meet some cool people and see as much as possible. Oh I'd be alone, don't think I'll drag any kids along and since I'm decidedly unattached at the moment that's the plan. Just me, my dive gear and the state of Florida for a week or so.

Since you'll probably ask, cause it will help with your suggestions:
my dive info as of today (6/11/06):
SSI OW/ANDI Nitrox with 55 logged dives [in a year; since ow], primarily beach [and some boat] dives in Socal with a hanful of Maui dives, usually temperate waters [mid 50's], avg 15 viz, 30-60fsw [Deep 100fsw]. I am comfortable in the water & my abilities and dive within them, buoyancy and weighting are dialed in. No experience in drifting, blue water and strong currents.

Am planning on taking AOW and Rescue at the end of the summer, by the time this vacation rolls around, I'd expect to have around 80-100 dives, and be taking pictures.

I like to relax when diving, poke around and not miss the small stuff.
Like I said pretty much anything goes, what would you do??? I don't know jack about Florida, never been there, and would appreciate your thoughts and sharing of local knowledge.

Garrett

P.S. I'll be mapping out my FL diving adventure on Google Earth, so if you want to send me a placemark or GPS coordinates of a dive spot or something, that would be cool send to [my scubaboard screen name]+florida@gmail.com [with the + sign]. Thanks

Many options are there for you, but definitely make it down to the Keys for at least a couple of the days you have available. Would suggest Tavernier, and Conch Republic specifically. Great reefs, lots of fish to photograph. Wrecks are 100+ pretty much: Eagle, Duane, Spiegel Grove. Ask them for details.

You won't be far from a lot of the springs. Blue Springs... Alexander... etc.. Not much money... you pay an entrance fee... Each place is good for a dive or two... If you get cavern or cave certified.. that will peak your interest level a bit.

Scuba_Dad:
... If you get cavern or cave certified.. that will peak your interest level a bit.
I have zero interest in this type of diving at least at this stage in my diving life. Never say never, but it's never really peaked my interest.

Excuse my ignorance but what are the springs like; are they like lakes or quarry's with clear viz? What's the appeal vs other ocean sites [besides the whole cave/cavern aspects]? If I could only go to one, which would be your suggestion?

A day in Boynton Beach and a day in Jupiter (just below and above West Palm Beach, respectively) will be worth your while to plan on for good drifting. They're on the route to the Keys.

Each spring really is different, each their own personality. They don't hold my interest like the ocean, but they are a unique environment. May be worth looking into since you never done one. Maybe not. I always dis them when planning to dive, but then always seem to enjoy them in the end.

On your way down to Tavernier, check out the USS Rankin just offshore from Stuart. It will give you an idea of what the Spiegel Grove looked like before being righted. It's slightly smaller than the Grove, but still big (459ft. v. 510ft.) and is an Amphibious Cargo Ship (LKA-103). Depth is nearly the same at 120ft. and vis may be better due to the gulf stream. The only dive op. I was familiar with in the area, sadly has gone OOB(Stuart Dive Center). Perhaps someone else may know of a reputable shop in the area, or you may take your chances with a google search for one. It's been a long tiime since I dove her, but I knew some of the swabs who helped put her down.

Well...I just checked out some news reports that the Rankin suffered quite a bit of damage from the hurricanes, it didn't specify which one(s). It seems the ship was ripped in half and the bow was crushed. Too bad, it was a magnificent dive at one time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom