Diving Two Hose Regulators: Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's real easy to get gigundo size manuals after scanning. You have to do the proper selection of color/resolution. Scanning in B&W will bleed the opposite side through sometimes.
If your scanning software has an OCR (optical character recognition) setting, go with that. It'll do about 200dpi & be the most readable. You may otherwise get away with 150dpi, but going smaller will make the small print fuzz out.
I always undo the pages from any bindings so the pages lay flat.
Lotsa things to mess with for scanning, it took me quite a while to get things to a happy compromise between quality & file size, and I suspect that every scanner model & software package will be different.
You can zip the critters too, that'll knock some of the size down.

When you get around to emailing the critters, add: divers3@pacbell.net to the recipient list, sending a to several folks at once will take the same time as sending to just one.

Anybody have an original Unisuit manual from the early 70's? There's an outstanding section in it on seal replacement. (neoprene fabrication & glueing)

Reason being, these are still copyrighted materials, and most of the copyright holders, like Aqualung and SP, are still around, and very possessive of their rights. Selling a copy is violation of the copyright, as is distributing it for free. That's why everytime someone posts a site here with some manuals on it, it disappears.

The guys selling it on ebay are mostly gypsies, they run off a few copies at a time, sell them under an alias, and figure Aqualung or SP aren't going to notice, and if they do, the worst that can happen is they'll get an email telling them to cease and desist. We'd love to put out a CD with dozens of old manual on it, but we'd spend the rest of our lives in court if we did.

Wildstar1063 once bubbled...
Bob3, and Neil,

What surprises me is that there are not already
scanned PDF of these old manuals on the web.

People are Constantly selling photocopies (Some
that I've seen look like photocopies of
photocopies) of these on ebay, and I'd think
some historical diving Organization would have
these available for download.
:(

Vance,
Good points.
As a professional recording musician, I am sensitive to, and protective of intellectual property rights. Most of the old original manuals I have have no copyright marks on them, including the old USD DH manuals. Does this mean they have no copyright?
Neil

Bob3 once bubbled...

Anybody have an original Unisuit manual from the early 70's? There's an outstanding section in it on seal replacement. (neoprene fabrication & glueing)

Bob,
Thanks for the info on pdf files. I don't have a Unisuit manual but do you have any interest in a Viking suit manual? It has a whole repair section in it also. The pictures in it are very dark, and I would probable just take it to a good copy machine instead of trying to scan it. Then I'd just mail it to you.
Neil

What's the best method of getting the
baked on dried on Duckbill out of the
outflow fitting on the reg housing?

Also What's the deepest anyone's been
on a two hose? (Any one here I mean,
not records) . Any problems noticed at
depth?

Wildstar1063 (AKA Chuck E.)

Here is a link to an article titled
"THe good old days" that talks about
diving with vintage equipment

http://www.scubaduba.com/uslog/messages/8.html

I thought it was interesting

Chuck E.

...best method of getting the duckbill out...
I'm sure you could use some petroleum products on the thing, but sooner or later, you're going to wind up with a soaking bin with that food grade silicone in aqueous suspension.
Soak it for about a week.
When the duckbill reconstitutes itself, don't let it fool ya, replace it anyway. I've seen some pretty messed up rubber parts go in & emerge looking brand new. It's OK for wall hangers, but replace the parts anyway.

Neil, what year is your Viking manual?

Where does one get food grade silicone?

Wildstar1063 (AKA Chuck E.)

Trident (dive shop accessory supplier) has gallon jugs of the stuff.
Your LDS may be willing to order you a jug at a reasonable cost.

I'll check on a 5 gallon size from a local supplier, maybe I'll soak my feet for a while.
:wink:

Bob,
There's no date anywhere on this Viking manual, but from the look of the people in it, I'd guess from the 80's. Let me know and I'll copy it and mail it to you. Just PM me with your address.
Neil

Back
Top Bottom