Diving this weekend...flat, flat, flat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is as flat as it ever gets with 2-3 foot waves!!!

With conditions as good as they have been last week where I dove 4 days straight during the Memorial weekend, my predictions for today's dive out of Whaler's Cove to Montana was to be 80 feet of viz!!! Unfortunately the "Visibility Gods" must have said: "dream on." Whaler's was about 10 feet of viz and as we got to Granite Wall it opened up to maybe 15 feet.

As we continued to scooter NNW along the sand-pinnacle interface it got no better than 20 feet. Hitting the little rock just past Cross Roads I could see that it was going to be dicey to take the 200' jump to Montana so I pulled out the reel and tie down and go. If for some reason we missed it I would just reel back in to navigate home. We hit Montana and I let go of the reel as it would be an easy way to find the pinnacle again. We spent around 8 minutes at Montana and it was time to turn the dive.

Returning home was fun, getting back to the Cross Roads was straight forward, then I led us on a route thru Granite Point Pinnacles, lots and lots of interesting structure which I'm getting more and more familiar with. Stopping near Granite Wall to do gas switches, we ended our dive with big smiles despite the low viz. So weird as I'm not sure why the viz was so low compared to last week. Since that time the conditions have been so calm, it really fooled me and I would have bet money on the viz today and of course lost.

When it's flat like this go check out the Carmel side first... BW can come later when the conditions are not so good... :)

Looks like it's a few relatively new divers so far (if profiles are to be trusted), myself included. Assuming the vis is still "average" in spite of the calmness, I'd rather be somewhere where the navigation is...

a) really familiar to me, and...
b) basically trivial anyway, even if 'a' wasn't true :)

If we got some more experienced folks involved on Sunday who didn't mind leading (I've only dove Lobos on the Carmel side of things), I could be easily convinced. :D

Looks like it's a few relatively new divers so far (if profiles are to be trusted), myself included. Assuming the vis is still "average" in spite of the calmness, I'd rather be somewhere where the navigation is...

a) really familiar to me, and...
b) basically trivial anyway, even if 'a' wasn't true :)

If we got some more experienced folks involved on Sunday who didn't mind leading (I've only dove Lobos on the Carmel side of things), I could be easily convinced. :D

You are totally right... keep on that track.

Hone your skills a familiar spot until you can devote more attention to navigation and other more tasks.

That being said there are still some sites that might be new to you where navigation shouldn't be too hard... ie Macabee, Lovers

I'm diving Sunday but we do not have a plan yet on where....

Yeah, Macabee is a nice dive, which I am quite comfortable with. Somehow I've managed to just never go over to Lover's.

A lot of times for me though, Breakwater wins out just for convenience - especially when meeting a group of people I'm unfamiliar with. The parking situation (usually) makes it much easier.

Grrrr I really shouldn't come down Sunday but I'm not sure I can resist the call...

It'd be great to have you! I still haven't actually dove with you, despite our best efforts that one day at the BW. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom