Diving this weekend...flat, flat, flat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi belter,
Yup I'd still be interested in going. If you've dove some of the other sites besides breakwater that you might think have better visibility and are safe for rookie divers such as myself let me know. If not we can checkout breakwater still. So far I've dove breakwater a few times , McAbee once at night, and Coral Street a couple times. I have 19 dives pretty much split 50% Hawaii warm and 50% cold at Monterey.

-Erik

Excellent, I'm glad that things worked out so that you guys can still dive. Be safe, and happy diving!

A bunch of us from the Blue Water Divers club in Sunnyvale are going to MacAbee tomorrow morning. It's just a fun dive with a couple people finishing up some PADI coursework, not a club event, so anyone in need of a buddy or just looking for a group can feel free to join us. We're meeting at 9AM, and there will be around 8 of us. Just look for the guy named Mike with the shaved head--that's me--I'd be happy to introduce you to the others.

For those who haven't been before, you can find directions here: Blue Water Aquatics | Dive Site Maps

Any vis report today?

Vis at Local's Ledge was about 30 ish. Less in some parts. There was a whitish haze throughout the water column. Second dive was at Inner Pinnacles, vis was slightly worse, maybe 25 ft.

Topside it was flat as a lake, with little or no wind. It was overcast and intermittent drizzle for much of the day. We did see a pretty big pod of Risso's dolphins as we rounded Point Pinos on the way out.

Breakwater was flat as a pancake, but vis was probably 15 ft at its best... at least around the Metridium. I don't know what it is, but my girlfriend and I have probably been to that spot 10 times in the last two months and it seems like the crappier the conditions, the more Metridium are "blooming" (for lack of a better term).

MacAbee wasn't much better vis-wise.

I love the Breakwater also... specially now that the russian lady is a lot nicer :wink:

Ben you made me laugh!

On another note I dont feel so bad about being oncall and unable to dive this weekend! Ill take a little bigger waves if it gets me the breathtaking vis! :wink:

Breakwater was flat as a pancake, but vis was probably 15 ft at its best... at least around the Metridium. I don't know what it is, but my girlfriend and I have probably been to that spot 10 times in the last two months and it seems like the crappier the conditions, the more Metridium are "blooming" (for lack of a better term).

MacAbee wasn't much better vis-wise.

The Metridium like to eat all that "crap" in the water :wink:. With super clear vis, they usually aren't open at all.

Had some nice relaxing dives at MacAbee today. Flat as a lake--no waves whatsoever and just a tiny bit of current. Sounds like viz was about the same as yesterday, 15-20 feet. With the relatively shallow water (we maxed at 30ft) and easy conditions, both dives were over an hour, and we finished them with half our tanks remaining--we ran out of warmth before we ran out of air.

Peter C, Rpress, Jimsee and I went out Saturday to Arena Rock in my boat. The water was flat but when we got out there the vis was about 1 foot. I sent Peter and Ryan in to go first and they were back within a few minutes after checking my anchor. They told us it wasn't even worth getting in. So we pulled up anchor and went to a spot right inside the lighthouse point. Vis here was not affected by the bloom but was 10 to 15 at best (OK for north coast).
We found a wall in 30 feet that had more big abs than I've ever seen anywhere on the coast.
I saw many 10's and possibly a few 11's. I'm pretty sure everything around the point is a reserve so coming back with freediving gear is not an option.

Back
Top Bottom