Review Diving the Avelo System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We started the dives about 2 pounds positive. A single 2 1 min pump and we were neutral. Positive buoyancy at the surface at the end of the dive after purging all the ballast water would depend on the gas consumed. Our cylinders were filled approximately like AL80s, so we were about 7 pounds positive at the end, close to the estimate made by @lowwall

Our Avelo diving was from shore in Bonaire under very favorable sea conditions. We were quite comfortable on the surface.

Edit: pump time corrected

Sure doesn't keep one's head high out of the water if you have to spend any time on the surface. Hate to surface rough weather.
And that 6 or 7 pounds positive only applies to a mostly empty tank. Surface swims out to a dive site or if you have to surface early to fix a problem will kind of suck if there's any swell. Best bring a snorkel and be comfortable swimming on your back.

The lack of reserve buoyancy also means you should not be a buddy with a diver in conventional gear unless at least one of you have an additional source of buoyancy and are proficient deploying it at depth.

And that 6 or 7 pounds positive only applies to a mostly empty tank. Surface swims out to a dive site or if you have to surface early to fix a problem will kind of suck if there's any swell. Best bring a snorkel and be comfortable swimming on your back.

The lack of reserve buoyancy also means you should not be a buddy with a diver in conventional gear unless at least one of you have an additional source of buoyancy and are proficient deploying it at depth.
Block 2 of the jetpack will have a small wing..... :)

Block 2 of the jetpack will have a small wing..... :)
They have an SMB (not DSMB) stashed away in the current jetpack in case you surface into rough conditions. I don't know if it's practical to repack it if you want it for a surface swim to the site. @scubadada ?

They have an SMB (not DSMB) stashed away in the current jetpack in case you surface into rough conditions. I don't know if it's practical to repack it if you want it for a surface swim to the site. @scubadada ?
Yes, the SMB is attached to the left pocket. It is easy to deploy and is part of the dive 2 certification skills. It can be deployed in a number of ways to increase buoyancy. In my opinion, it is not a replacement of a DSMB for standard uses of this device. I would carry my usual DSMB and spool if diving off boat to alert for ascent and give my position.

Yes, the SMB is attached to the left pocket. It is easy to deploy and is part of the dive 2 certification skills. It can be deployed in a number of ways to increase buoyancy. In my opinion, it is not a replacement of a DSMB for standard uses of this device. I would carry my usual DSMB and spool if diving off boat to alert for ascent and give my position.
Is it something you could empty and re-stow on the surface or is it strictly for after the dive?

Is it something you could empty and re-stow on the surface or is it strictly for after the dive?
You could probably use it at the beginning of a dive and restow it, but it would be time consuming and a hassle. I see it for potential use at the end of a dive, not at all sure how often it might be needed. Outside of the skills demo for certification, we never thought of deploying it.

I'm not understanding this concern. Why would you need an additional source of buoyancy? And why would you need to deploy at depth? If your buddy on standard scuba experienced a failure of the BCD to hold air and started dropping like a stone it's time for your buddy to ditch weight. It might be time to help your buddy get rid of some weight.

My concern about diving Avelo with divers on standard has to do with preventing a rapid assent. On standard Scuba I can grab legs, dump my air and exhale to slow the diver's assent. I can't do this on Avelo. Getting negative takes time on Avelo. For this reason I only dive standard when teaching standard. When I'm taking divers out on a charter I dive Avelo if I have enough full tanks. Diving Avelo is sublime.

Diving Avelo is sublime.
I guess it must be an experiential thing - you don't fully get it until you try it. I would love to but I don't see that in the near future.

As a side note, I have to tip my hat to you for your willingness to thoroughly and thoughtfully answer every question that comes up. You are a great ambassador for the product.

I'm not understanding this concern. Why would you need an additional source of buoyancy?
The concern is not a mix team, the concern is if you need to rescue a Avelo diver, and you are also diving that system.

Having done my fair share of rescues (and some in very rough water), one of the first things I do is fully inflate the diver in distress's BC, I then inflate my wing and start the swim or what first aid needs to be done. With the Avelo, from what I gather, that is not an option. Good luck on doing a rescue, especially if the distress diver cant function and hold the Avelo safety bladder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom