Review Diving the Avelo System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can believe what you like but in real world cycling the people I train and race with have found electronic shifting to be more reliable, more robust, and easier to maintain than mechanical shifting. The latest generation of electronic simply holds up better under hard use in all conditions. Yes, there's an extra battery and motor but overall there's less stuff to break and the parts are under lower stress. The "Reliability and Maintenance" section of this article seems to be pretty spot on.
(Sorry for the off-topic comment. I don't have an opinion on the Avelo system and haven't tried it, just pointing out that mechanical versus electronic bike shifting isn't a meaningful analogy.)
Your article was written to push these systems. That's why they only interviewed reps for the manufacturers that sell them.

Here's a more in-depth and balanced article: Mechanical vs Electronic Groupsets: A Cyclist's Guide | ROUVY

I think it would be awesome to try and dive one :).
Buying one obviously is a whole different question. But experiencing it, yeah for sure. Good to see people trying to do something really new and finding something that works.

Buying one obviously is a whole different question. But experiencing it, yeah for sure. Good to see people trying to do something really new and finding something that works.
A very small number of posters to this thread have dived the Avelo System. I do not comment on diving backmount doubles, sidemount diving, technical diving, cave diving, rebreathers... I have quite a bit of experience diving backmount singles for no stop and light deco diving. I dive reasonably competently.

I wouldn't comment on mechanical vs. electronic cycling groupsets either :).

A very small number of posters to this thread have dived the Avelo System. I do not comment on diving backmount doubles, sidemount diving, technical diving, cave diving, rebreathers... I have quite a bit of experience diving backmount singles for no stop and light deco diving. I dive reasonably competently.

I wouldn't comment on mechanical vs. electronic cycling groupsets either :).

I can easily comment on and question the utility and economics of a Bentley without ever driving one. That’s not the same thing as commenting on how well it drives.

Another car analogy my friend?
Let’s do this one :wink:
I can walk into a restaurant and see rodents hanging out, I don’t need to order anything to know, to my liking, that I don’t want to eat there.

A very small number of posters to this thread have dived the Avelo System. I do not comment on diving backmount doubles, sidemount diving, technical diving, cave diving, rebreathers... I have quite a bit of experience diving backmount singles for no stop and light deco diving.
That’s a fair point. Not many have used the system. I’m sure it’s a nice system, and does what it’s supposed to do.

That said, Avelo is new. Having announced pricing, they must be looking to sell these systems. They now need to convince divers that they need this system. They certainly haven’t done that for me. It is an intriguing system. I just don’t see how it justifies the price tag.

Come to Oahu for a vaca and take the Cert with me. :) I mean you really need a reason to vacation in Hawaii right?

That’s a fair point. Not many have used the system. I’m sure it’s a nice system, and does what it’s supposed to do.

That said, Avelo is new. Having announced pricing, they must be looking to sell these systems. They now need to convince divers that they need this system. They certainly haven’t done that for me. It is an intriguing system. I just don’t see how it justifies the price tag.
publishing a price was in response to an inundation of inquiries. Of course Avelo wants to sell systems but isn't in a hurry to do so. I think the most recent iteration of the Jet Pack is ready for sales. All the incremental improvements have led to a robust and dependable product.

I think Dive Shops will be a significant buyer of systems for DSDs when this is possible. I think people who get Avelo Certified will be happy to pay a bit to rent systems for boat and shore dives. But we'll see.

Like everything else in recreational scuba, it's going to depend on training time and cost, both for training and rental. I think it's going to be a tiny niche unless and until they can convince someone to let them do DSDs in it and/or get the training time down to a day for certified divers. And then dramatically lower the price or come up with some kind of leasing program for dive shops.

Even then, I'm not sure it will ever work for DSDs outside of the resorts that cater to the very wealthy since you'll have to charge a lot more to cover the equipment cost and a one to one student to instructor ratio. One to one because it will be the only way to safely do this without a full day of training before the dive.

Back
Top Bottom