Diving Spring Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did mention that incident as an example of how things can go wrong. Used correctly, the scooter do a great job on sites like Arch and Riverbed. But, "nuke and pave" pretty accurately describe our techniques for dealing with coontail. When we are done with a site, it looks like a desert if we did a good job. Not a problem since the mud in the lake is better than Miracle Grow. As a disclaimer, any divers new to the Diving for Science program need to be trained by more expierenced volunteers before they start tearing the place up.

Weismeuller is in the head waters and it is rare that volunteer divers are allowed in that part of the lake. Out of the hundreds of hours I have in Spring Lake, the time I have spent there is less than 5 hours. Very dangerous place to dive when the boats are operating. The site are smalll so you have to be very verticle to work in them and they can be very shallow (8-10'). Not much margin for error between you and the boat's prop. On top of that navigation can be a real bitch. You have to find a postage stamp in the middle of weeds that look exactly the same. The vis in the water may be 60' but the view through the plants cuts that down to 3' at times. John can find his way around the head waters, I cann't.

It is so pretty there and the diversity of fresh water species is amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom