Diving/Snorkling fins...any difference???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gemmington

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was wondering if diving fins can be used to snorkel as well??? I'm a newbie diver and starting to purchase my own equipment for a couple of reasons. The main reason is that I'm tiny so dive shops don't generally have fins to fit my feet. The second is that I will be both diving and snorkling on the GBR in may with school and will need to get my own m/s/f before then. Should i just buy a cheap pair of snorkling fins or should I go all out and get proper diving fins that will last??? Are there any recommendations for small fins?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Diving fins are generally longer. You'll need the extra thrust these provide when you are geared up. Stubby snorkeling fins generally could use more oomph to overcome the extra drag that gears gives you.

I'd go with a pair of good diving fins and use those for diving and snorkeling.

Diving fins can be used for snorkeling but not vice vesa. As Rakkis says diving fins are designed to move you through the water with gear, so they are longer and generally stiffer. Snorkel fins may work in a pool with gear but once you hit any type of current you will have problems.

I disagree. Most diving fins are perfectly suited to skin-diving or snorkeling. When you get to free-diving you get into very long fins that would be kludge for scuba. I would avoid a major paddle fin like Jets. I don't know what a split would be like on the surface long term but my gut says to avoid it. Our Aeris Velocities do double duty very well.

Save your money, one pair of mid range paddle fins will serve you well.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom