diving/snorkelling in europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wendi

Registered
Reaction score
hi, I am in the uk and planning a holiday in europe (or north africa maybe- anywhere cheap and accessable to the UK) for a week.
I am an open water diver, my partner loves to snorkel (in shallow water), had a lovley 2 weeks in goa, india last year where he really took to the underwater world, so im looking for somewhere where the fish come up to the beach!! I was hoping to go to the red sea but stupidly i didnt apply for a visa and i dont have the time now - yes im kicking myself but hoping you folks have some good alternatives.
thanks wendi :)

I did some diving off the south of France. Not bad but nothing like the carribean...

Search for "cannes" to get some info on where I dove and with whom, etc.

Wendi

Good to see more UK divers on the board - its been quite lonely!!!
You mentioned not applying for a visa for the Red Sea. If you go to egypt you can dive the red sea without applying for a visa...you just buy one on arrival.

As for diving in europe, me and my partner were considering Malta or Cyprus as they seem to be warm and have reasonable diving - but so far we still trying to plan time off etc, to manage to get away!

Anyway - good luck and hope you have a good time wherever you end up! :D

Checking the BA website, it costs about 80 quid more (standard, non-discount fares) to fly (nonstop) to Miami (with BA) than to Cairo.

Try the Florida Keys! Or, if your partner's game, try a liveaboard out of Miami. I'm booked on one (13 Jul) that's only $900 per person for the week (www.seafever.com).

The only problem with a live-a-board is that it can get quite boring for a non-diver - esp. if your visiting deep reefs of wrecks as they cant even snorkel for anything overly interesting.

But I as this board has many US divers...I am sure you could get some great info. on where the hot spots are if you stay in a hotel! And it would give your partner the chance to get wet and find things on land that he'd enjoy!

Hi Wendi

Couple of options: Malta, parts of Greece, Turkey or Spain

For the cheapest from the UK would be the £3 flight carriers to places like Mallorca. I know that you can now get cheap flights to Lanzarote from 3 UK airports, where the diving can be very good.

Hi, France and around the med is good, some very good diving to be had around Toulon, and along that part of the coast. Can be a little on the cool side compared with Egypt.!!!!! the Islands of Porquerolles are good as they are a protected area. Hope this helps
alan

Mallorca offers good snorkeling and diving , cheap flghts and accomodation...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom