Diving sidemount on liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In recreational side mounting two 40s or 50s would be compact, light and still preferable to back mount from redundancy and troubleshooting perspectives... Just sayin

I don't know of a single liveaboard that would have 40s or 50s for a customer to dive. All the liveaboards I know of that supply cylinders to their customers (which is most of them) only have 80s....Just sayin...

I don't know of a single liveaboard that would have 40s or 50s for a customer to dive. All the liveaboards I know of that supply cylinders to their customers (which is most of them) only have 80s....Just sayin...

Juliet out of Miami offers 63's, Great Escape and the Horizon on the Baja peninsula are Liveaboards in California that let you bring your own tanks, as does Blue Iguana in Key Largo, Fl, as does....Explorer out of Turks&Caicos, as does Big Cat out of Queensland... As does bout a whole bunch others... Just sayin...

63s are not 40s or 50s. And not many people are going to travel to a liveaboard with their own tanks. I'm sure most any liveaboard will let divers bring their own tanks on board and use them for the week. Good luck getting the airlines to let you bring the tanks on board the airplane with you. Oh, you probably can do it but that will be most of your weight capacity on each bag and you'll be paying a lot more to haul a 3rd bag with you for the gear.

63s are not 40s or 50s. And not many people are going to travel to a liveaboard with their own tanks. I'm sure most any liveaboard will let divers bring their own tanks on board and use them for the week. Good luck getting the airlines to let you bring the tanks on board the airplane with you. Oh, you probably can do it but that will be most of your weight capacity on each bag and you'll be paying a lot more to haul a 3rd bag with you for the gear.

Not to hijack further- but Serious question- if air travel with tanks is so bad- what do rebreather divers did about tank transport ? I haven't seem shops advertising CCR tank rentals (yet?)- is that going to develop?

Not to hijack further- but Serious question- if air travel with tanks is so bad- what do rebreather divers did about tank transport ? I haven't seem shops advertising CCR tank rentals (yet?)- is that going to develop?

It has. I rent them, as well as 40's. Most dive shops in the keys have them, or access to them through other shops. Many liveaboards have ponies, which, with the addition of the right valves can be used for rebreathers. Their hassle comes from having O2, sorb, and booster available.

Also, CCR tanks are MUCH smaller and MUCH easier to travel with than a typical OC tank.

As victor stated, CCR tanks are much smaller. My 13cf O2 tank weighs about 6 lbs and is easily packed in a suitcase. An AL40 weights a lot more and is a lot bigger. It's not the travel with tanks that's so bad, it's the travel with larger tanks that's pretty much undoable. Otherwise I would bring my steel tanks down to Mexico with me instead of using their AL80s.

Operators should be free not to allow SM (eg to avoid slow donning and doffing, risk of injury on a croweded deck, etc.) the same way you should discriminate operators that don't let you dive the way you like. If you ask upfront, you avoid any problem during your trip.

I'd like to see data about SM divers holding a significant risk of injury on a crowded deck. I'd like to see a hard data to make sure that operators are not free to discriminate because of some wild fallacious falsehood.

What is next? No women on the boat because of a bad omen? Don't get me started about virgins.

PS: If they really would want to lower their liability, they should have said no to any re-breather diver.

Back
Top Bottom