Diving Performance - Beyond Drag (article Series And Discussion)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, ronscuba I have. Spot on!

They look nearly perfect but are four times the price. I'd love to convince a certain someone to come out with a "Hunter" style compromise for older divers in a material that tapers to a really soft tip with generous channels. Keep the material thick for durability, just make the entire fin more flexible and keep it at the same amazing price point.

REVAN, are you associated with anyone who manufactures your design?
Just me. I make all my own designs, though I'd be willing to work with other manufacturers if they are interested. Like I said before, if they like what they see, they can consider this thread to be my resume' (or at least a cover letter to my actual resume' - :wink: ).

I'm set up for doing prototype and low volume work. If small groups of about 20 or more are interested in something I have made, I can usually refine the design and make a low volume production run. However, the stuff will be made here in the USA, so it won't be cheap like something that is mass produced with injection molding robotic equipment in China. But, with that you get whatever the mold is set up to make for the masses, whereas I can produce custom designs and custom equipment.

As for my Pilot SR-1 scuba fins, the price would likely be comparable to other freedive fins with hand made composite blades, so I'm not crazy expensive by comparison or anything like that. But, people would need to want it badly enough to step outside the zone of cheap $100 scuba fins to make it happen.

Last edited:
Yes, ronscuba I have. Spot on!

They look nearly perfect but are four times the price. I'd love to convince a certain someone to come out with a "Hunter" style compromise for older divers in a material that tapers to a really soft tip with generous channels. Keep the material thick for durability, just make the entire fin more flexible and keep it at the same amazing price point.
Cressi makes a softblade fin. I believe it is model 3000 LD.

I am new to freediving fins and have only used my Leaderfins fiberglass medium flex. They feel flexible to me, but I have no experience with other freedive fins. I have read opinions the Leaderfins fiberglass medium is roughly equal to other mfr. soft. Pricing is very competitive, roughly $130 with current Euro exchange rate. Even with shipping from Europe it comes out pretty reasonable for a fiberglass fin.

@fjpatrum - The pool is warming up a little sooner than usual this year. I just cleaned and balanced the chemicals, and I have a stock scuba kit available that I can test. It is an OMS backplate with a 45 pound banded wing and a single Al-80. I should be able to get to some testing later this week if it will be helpful to you. I could swim it with the Pilot-SR1 Fins, Rocket fins, and Apollo Bio-Fin Pros and collect kick count and speed information.

What, if any, of these combinations do you want to see?

I would be interested in speed/time information. You could test all 3 fins with the backplate w/ wing and w/o wing. Then compare to your speed setup with tank cones. We can then which how much or how little the individual changes affect speed.

I would be interested in speed/time information. You could test all 3 fins with the backplate w/ wing and w/o wing. Then compare to your speed setup with tank cones. We can then which how much or how little the individual changes affect speed.
That's (3 fins) x (3 different scuba configurations) = 9 different equipment combinations I'd need to test. I have 1000 psi left over in a tank. I was hoping to do something quick to finish off the tank. What would be the highest priority data?

That's (3 fins) x (3 different scuba configurations) = 9 different equipment combinations I'd need to test. I have 1000 psi left over in a tank. I was hoping to do something quick to finish off the tank. What would be the highest priority data?
Speaking selfishly out of my own interests:

2 tests: Apollo Biofins with and without the wing
4 tests: Rocket fins and Apollo Biofins with and without the wing
6 tests: The 3 fins with and without the wing

Basically, testing widely available commercial products that scuba divers can relate to.

@REVAN good on you for doing further testing. If you really want to make an impact, go grab a vest BC, and use whatever fins/wetsuit combination you used in your original videos. Then do a comparison of your rig, the BP/W setup (though I would recommend a 30# wing instead of the 45, if you can get your hands on one, as I believe they are more popular these days), and the vest BC. 3 combinations of gear, 3 tests. Simple, easy, and, in my opinion, the best way to back up what you're saying with verifiable/repeatable data. Then you'll have the difference of freediving, vest BC, BP/W, and your rig all in "identical" test scenarios that give a full range of the improvements as you streamline more and more. I'll look forward to seeing what you end up doing.

Unfortunately, I don't have a vest BC available. Remember, I'm the guy who doesn't like BCs to begin with. They are not something I buy or have a bunch of them laying around. I also live in the desert, so not many diver friends around here. Thanks to my friend Paul, I've got the OMS system available to use. If not for that, the only BC I'd have here is my old 85 pound double bladder for my twin 120s from my tech diving days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom