Diving Pearl Harbor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Submerged checks out the USS Arizona among other places and might be worth looking into as better than nothing J.

Do they also pump black mud over it,that takes the sight and hold the nitrogen

part off the water high???

E.L.7*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just to let you guys know also... they kinda pump their black water in to pearl harbor off all this ships... yeah, thats not the type of water you want to be swimming in. They give guys some sort of end all be all shot. Kinda nasty

So the operative part of pearl harbor is a obviously a restricted area and the underseas, non-operative part is considered a military graveyard and therefore restricted?

Looking at a map, I don't think you'll find much of Pearl that is "non-operative". Just because it's a waterway doesn't mean there's any less security required -- some would argue that it needs more protection as a person could likely gain easier access to secured areas if they entered the area underwater.

Since underwater wrecks where people have lost their lives here in Norway also is considered gravesites, this raises a question to me;
Is it an "international policy" that wrecks where people have died is considered gravesites, or is for example Pearl Harbor an exception?

By wrecks where people have lost their lives, I do primarilly mean people lost their lives when it BECAME a wreck, not after it became a wreck as that might be considered somewhat different.

I think the key thing is whether there are bodies in the wrecks or not.

In the case of the Arizona, there are sailors entombed in the sunken wreck. There are other wrecks of the world where all hands were able to abandon ship (though some may have subsequently died) or where the bodies have been recovered. I don't think those get classified as grave sites.

I dont think they handel it with so much protection wail that a grave is,when

that the same Black mud is that i mean in my writen above is it esay to depart

that and you have for a week clear sight its plantrests with carbonparticule but

nothing do realy rotten ther a kind off consevation off dead as junk.It is that it

can not be the reson that the Nitrogen changes the Detonation time force.

wail it will be 200 years as more dangerous....

E.L.7*

When Hawaii Sea adventures was still open they headed a clean up dive twice a year on the Arizona to pick up trash, and help with hull survey. now it's done by MSDU, AND NOAA. Vis for the most part is terrible cause of the run off from Halawa stream, the oil billowing out from the hull. When you are down there you feel a "PRESENCE" and it's not a hea i just dove the arizona you should come out sometime...
and yea, that water isn't the cleanest on the island...I served on 2 subs out here,and my opinion on it reguardless of the cleanliness awards giving each year is indifferent.

laytah
steve

Back
Top Bottom